Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposal Restrict Fifth Fleet to Admin Events only

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Albens, Apr 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Albens

Albens Petty Officer First Class

TL;DR at bottom.
    Fifth Fleet Lore is here.
    Basically, the Fifth Fleet is the smallest fleet that happens to contain the best and brightest from all the fleets, and the newest equipment. The Fifth Fleet took the best from Second and Third Fleet for the Core of the Fifth, and all the best new Recruits. Combined with the newest equipment, extensive training, but very limited practical Experience.

I would say it is accurate to call this force a "strategic-level special force"*. I also think it would be accurate to say that, while this unit makes complete sense from a lore standpoint, it is not a good fit for a selectable Fleet for our playerbase. The current implementation of the Fleet is of the POG, or the REMF. You are a "People Other than Grunt" or a "Rear Echelon Mother Fucker". This is a good direction for the Fleet, as it provides the Structure, Backstory, and a reasonable expectation for Fleet Service Members. The Fifth Fleet does not align with this in a positive manner.

Specifics aside, the Fifth Fleet hits some of the same areas as the Orbital Assault Marine meme. And for that reason alone, I am wanting to make a poll that recommends the following:
    Option 1: Keep it as is. Fifth Fleet can be selected by players on the Torch as their Fleet of Origin.
    Option 2: Fifth Fleet is restricted to Events and Antags only. Thematically, the Fifth Fleet makes sense, but it doesn't work well with the playerbase.
    Option 3: Abstain.
    Option 4: Other. I think the Fifth Fleet should be changed by the Loremins in an option that is not listed here.

TL;DR: Fifth fleet is the new Orbital Assault. Fifth Fleet makes thematic sense, but shouldn't be a selectable Fleet for players on the Torch. See poll and vote or comment your opinion if no vote exists.
    *=To clarify, as most of the Playerbase on Baystation are Westerners, But "Special Forces" mean varying things.

For instance, US SOCOM is just a Command that handles smaller Special Forces, and is not remotely correct to what I mean by "Special Forces."
    In this instance, The Fifth Fleet is directly comparable to the Russian Special Operations Forces.
    It's also comparable to Presidential, Republican, or National Guard units. Military branches that exist in tandem with the normal Army.
    Edit- Polls have been disabled. So either an admin makes one or not, either way, it's a discussion.

2. SparklySheep

SparklySheep Retired Staff

Does anyone even care what fleet you're from? I don't think it's every come up when I've played, ever.

samsone700 and Banditoz like this.
  3. flying_loulou

flying_loulou Sol Gov Pilot

I don't see what's the issue with the fifth fleet, I'd just expect (if there is any expectation to be had) one from the 5th to be eventually more dynamic and sharp than a "normal dude", yet I wouldn't expect him to be special in any kind. It's, iirc, just a "normal" fleet on stand-by, ready to be tossed where it's needed.

4. Eckles

Eckles Cake Seller Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

You're making it out to be more special than it is.

This is not a necessary change.