Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted Rodmuth - Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Game Moderators - Archive' started by Rodmuth, Feb 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodmuth

Rodmuth Game Moderator

About You

What is your Byond key?

Rodmuth

What is your IRC or Discord handle?

Rodmuth#1064

In UTC, what time range(s) do you usually play in?

any/all. I'm all over the place with bi-weekly fluctuations. My goal sleeping pattern would make me able to play from the noon UTC and on.

What are the names of your most played characters?

Jerry White, Tim Kyle, Hans Fisher are currently my most active ones.

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?

3.5 years.

How long have you been playing on Baystation? How much are you involved with our off-server community?

I believe I first tried it about 2 years ago, but for the past 10 months I have played a lot.
    I participate in the discord a fair bit, hanging out with the community there. I try to reply in #game-questions and otherwise mostly use the #baystation channel, along with DMing people for various reasons, most often to tell them to not give up a role or feel bad because they made a mistake and a rude character, or even the players OOCly were mean to them about it. Most commonly though, and on a lighter note, I DM people to banter about old shifts when I run in to someones discord name after knowing their character for a while.
    I visit the forums daily and read every new post unless its long and uninteresting to me, but I only post or even log in sometimes.

Have you been a moderator or admin on other Space Station 13 servers?

No

Have you been in a moderation role for a forum or on chat channels before?

No

Tell us about you. What will make you a good moderator?
    • I love the game and community and I want to help make it even better.
    • I try my best to play the game in a way that makes it fun for others, and I want to moderate with the same goal.
    • I am level-headed and being nice to people is my default mode.
    • I can take constructive criticism well, and own up to my mistakes.
    • I like being a teacher and I'm am patient in this role.

I really love Bay. It is in my opinion the best game around and predictably it has become a big part of my life.
    I have made multiple friends through this community and I want to make it even better, one of my main motivations for that is so that we can attract more players and have a decent pop number in the afternoon in europe, because I'm from here and I like to play earlier, but the best time to play is later on when both americans and europeans are up simultaneously. Also, a game of this calibre really should have many people on during all parts of the day. Baystation has improved a lot, both in terms of the Torch finding its place in the post-Exodus era, and in terms of code, with a lot new exciting features. There are other areas which I am not content with how they have developed but I'm of the strong conviction that we can will become bigger and better.
    In short I see a bright future for Bay and I want to try to help make it so.

To the best of your knowledge and understanding, how you would interpret and handle the following scenarios?

Cornydinner9/(Blake Ashdown)) continually responds in LOOC in regards to the actions of 3wolfmoon/(Alek Mendoza) on their character rather than reacting to them normally. When you use OOC => Who, it shows that Cornydinner9 joined the server for the first time two days ago.

The new player needs some guidance. I'll check the notes to see if they have been greeted, if they haven't I will do that.
    After welcoming them to Bay, and keeping in mind that they might feel bad from the bwoink, I try to be nice about it as I explain that they shouldn't use LOOC like that and how LOOC is supposed to be used. Making sure to inform them that staff are here to help and that the conversation we're having is an example of staff helping.
    I will explain the very fundamentals of RP to them and bring up some of the reasons why it's more fun to play this way. Then I will provide a link to the excellent wiki page that we've got about RP, along with the rules. Hopefully, I can contribute this way to keep them on as a player that develops into a fun RPer for all of us to enjoy.
    I also shouldn't forget to invite the new player to ahelp with any questions or issues. Now that they have been greeted, I'll write a note so that other staff knows.

The chance that they are some griefer also exists, in which case I believe it would be obvious and I'll ask an admin to take over as I can't issue bans.

gleaming3, an observer, has started a ticket in which they claim that StaleMichel50/(Pete Wethers) is "killing without RP", and they have not provided much information. When you use Admin => Check Antagonists, StaleMichel50 is listed as a traitor.

I respond to the ahelp and say "Tell me a bit more about it please" responding only in ways that doesn't reveal anything to gleaming3.
    Then I do look into it. I believe I could be using logs, viewing notes, aghosting, bwoinking witnesses to ask for info and asking deadchat as useful tools, and if I learn he just killed one or two people I will just send him a friendly bwoink to ask for his IC motive for killing, a quick conversation were I close the ticket with a "enjoy your round" as soon as he replies with his motive.
    Killing without RP is allowed and unless there is a special reason I see no need to bother StaleMichael50s any more than that.
    Speaking of special reasons, I will, however, check if the player is new, in which case he should get a quick, friendly reminder that he shouldn't kill too many people ideally, and give him some pointers to traitoring in a way that is fun for the community as a whole. Perhaps I will link them the post by Persona E in the "Ask Staff Anything!" thread, but honestly I feel like teaching people about this will be one of my strengths.
    If my investigation with the aforementioned methods reveal that he is on some sort of rampage, have notes for poor antag play, is breaking any other rule or there is some other problem, that's a time to do something about it however. I believe that the only tool I have to do that is talking to them, and asking for an admin. Worst case scenario, for example if he is going around killing absolutely everyone while spamming slurs, I'll kick him and redouble my efforts to get an admins attention.

While you are observing, you notice that melancholy_Chad/(Ogden Bullthorn) and ProudYolande08/(Lou Penny) are both explorers, and have seemingly miraculously been able to find and rescue each other on the exoplanet with ease, in spite of their distances apart at various times and lack of communication with one another.

I would stalk them as a ghost and gather evidence on this possible metagaming situation and tell any other staff currently online what I am doing, because this sounds like a tricky situation, and they will be more experienced in dealing with this and therefore I should probably be in a supportive role in a situation like this. If I find conclusive evidence, it would have to go to admins. If I can't find any more evidence then I ask for input from other staff as I hand over what info I've managed to gather and we can perhaps help each other make sense of this thing.
    I think sneakily gathering evidence first and then see if they will lie or just confess and apologize is the right way to go.
    Still, it is possible that their main fault is not reading the rules, and they can be fully integrated as valuable parts of the community, then again, depending on how things play out we might be better off without them.

Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) is complaining about BIGMAMMOTH/(Jessica Olivers)'s character being "unprofessional" in adminhelps. Upon looking at the situation, you find that the actions of BIGMAMMOTH do not violate any server rules, though Superiordorene is clearly upset.

I disapprove of people being upset and I will at first try to cheer them up.
    Then I need to tell them that on the Torch there is a lot of ways to solve this ICly. Corporarte Liaison, SCG Rep, SEA, their department head, XO, CO, various people that outrank the unprofessional character in question or literally an IC support group of work friends that have lunch and vent may all be appropriate ways to go forward ICly from there. So I will ask them if they want to try something like that?

A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) on the bridge. While the issue appears legitimate. There are a number of discrepancies in the stories between colorful_berry67 and StraightGertude15, with the story provided by EnergeticPlastic not relating at all to those of the other two.

This seems hard, and depending how my initial work plays out, I will ask for help from other staff. My initial analysis is as follows:

EnergeticPlastics story not relating to the other two could mean he is lying to staff which is bad because it kills time, is rude and may lead to incorrect decisions being made by staff.
    But perhaps EnergeticPlastic is not very well liked by the other two, and they are watching each others back. That would be much worse because now we are talking about a clique behaviour that is harassing other, potentially new players. The fact that the two hypothetical clique players aren't saying the same partially supports this.
    However, depending on the situation it may be likely no one is lying, conspiring, cliqueing or anything malicious like that. There's a lot of confusion and fog of war happening in most Baystation rounds, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

Keeping in constant contact with all 3 players and asking further questions, would both allow me to understand more, and prevent colorful_berry67 and StraightFertude15 to have time to consolidate their stories using a separate chat client on the off-chance that they are doing something that bad.
    Depending on what has actually happened, I may be able to use view variables to get information about the situation and I will bwoink other people to try to get more info from a hopefully impartial source, along with asking around in deadchat for witnesses.
    I'm also thinking that it might be a good idea, if I still can't get a clear picture of what happened, to inform the players that it is understandable if mistakes were made in the initial story, but that I want them to think it through again, and try to give me a really clear and simple run down of events again. This is partially to give people a chance to think it all through now that possible hot tempers are cooled so that I can, hopefully, get a clearer picture of things, and partially to give outright liars a chance to come clean without having to confess to lying, because people don't like having to do that.

CubecsMelody likes this.
  2. Mordeth221

Mordeth221 High Inquisitor Senior Administrator Game Administrator

Drone 741 has approved this application for the process of a trial.
    [​IMG]
    nice

Boznar, Persona E and Sweedle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.