Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland410 - Kharmaani

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Roland410, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland410

Roland410 Petty Officer First Class

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Roland410

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Came back around more than a year ago, but didn't play as much as I wanted to recently.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    I used to play Lin Chang a lot, people may know me nowadays by Payton Quirin, Xavier Merriman or Solomon Durstine probably.

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Kharmaani/The Ascent

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I feel like this is the first actually alien species that is currently in/playable since dionaea/adherents/prometheans were implemented, and I prefer to play an alien when referring to one instead of a reskinned human. I also feel like this species would suit my playstyle more than dionaea did.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    33 Smoking Canyon (Gyne)
    6872 Smoking Canyon (Alate)
    Consuming Wormhole (Control Mind)
    Canyon-16 (Drone under the Gyne)

Summarize what you know about the species.
    The Ascent is composed of three main groups, the Kharmaani, Monarch Serpentids and the control minds, each serving an important part of the Ascent.

Kharmaani are the oldest members, they are crystalline, with a thin brittle skin over a gelatinous, translucent interior. Over their life they undergo multiple molts, where they shed their carapace for a new one.
    They are born as larvae from the mother gyne, one of thousands, and they burrow into the crust of the planet or artificial substitute for station-born, then pupate. Upon emerging as alates, they swarm and fight with the others until the population stabilizes, when they gain intelligence and sexual maturity. Once this happens, older alates will spontaneously alter into a female gyne, and breed with the male alates, incorporating them into her body.

Monarch Serpentids are almost indentical to GAS, except they never lost their queens, never had to adapt to the lower oxygen levels of their homeworld and as such didn't develop the complex internal chemistry of the GAS.
    They are made up of the queens who are a lot smaller and more intelligent, and the larger workers.

The control minds are one of the most important parts of the group, a category of machine intelligence and infomorphs responsible for running most day-to-day tasks such as logistics, fabrication, and distribution.

The Kharmaani and the Monarch Serpentids are both eusocial, with a tiered cultural structure. The gynes are the least numerous and hold the most power in a social sense. The Kharmaani have rescued the Monarch Serpentids and they serve as their diplomats or intermediaries as they have problems communicating politely with each-other.
    Kharmaani are hostile, violent creatures from a human perspective, and they physiologically can't prevent themselves from attacking another gyne even if they are from the same lineage. They get on well with the Monarch Serpentids on the other hand and they have one or more mezzanines in a nest, where the queen presides with her court.
    Both Kharmaani and Monarch Serpentids look down on species outside of their own, as they consider them primitives, since they are both culturally and technologically well developed.

Currently the Ascent has no formal contact recorded with any species other than Skrell, who they are in peace with after centuries of violence, however this peace is strained.
    The Monarch Serpentids have encountered GAS, who they pity for what they became.
    The Skrell wish to keep Ascent away from the rest of humanity and the galaxy however.

Character idea
    25 Thunderous Plains
    She's mostly what you'd expect from a gyne, arrogant, thinks a lot of herself, but actually she's always planning, and trying to backstab others to gain more power. She likes to toy with primates and finds their primitive ways entertaining to watch, but if they try to come near her nest or even her, she will not hesitate to terminate them on the spot.
    She's usually calm but curious, and thus may find herself in a position she didn't expect, sometimes good, but often can be bad.
    For her, every part of her hive is important, and would rather not sacrifice her alates or her serpentids if not necessary, but her life is of utmost priority.
    (Honestly I suck at the whole making up a character part of stuff, but this is how I plan to play her.)

2. Loaf

Loaf Developer Ascent Species Maintainer Deputy Vox Maintainer

I have some concerns about your notes. Quite a lot of them deal with antag play and Kharmaani are in a position to do some pretty heavy antagonizing. How would you expect a round to play out and what would your goals be as a gyne ingame?

3. Roland410

If the character idea I provided is fine with you, I'd mainly be roaming the sector, looking for a new nest and observing humans and other species, but never interfering. In the beginning I'd probably play alates more than gyne to learn from better people to be completely honest.

4. Loaf

Would you be willing to appeal your explorer bans in view of this application?

5. Roland410

Yes, I was planning to do that for a while, but never got around to appealing it again.

6. Loaf

If you can get those cleared up, I would be happy to approve this. I'll move it to On Trial till that point. Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.