Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RustingWithYou - Skrell

Discussion in 'On Trial' started by RustingWithYou, Mar 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustingWithYou

RustingWithYou Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    RustingWithYou

What is your Discord username?
    RustingWithYou#8798

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    About eight months

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Casimir Tilton, Senior Researcher
    Rusty Ali, Prospector
    Assembly Unit VQ-C 6315, Roboticist
    Takriaaakri, Shoal Technician/Merchant

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Skrell

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I've seen a few Skrell players who were really good with regards to their RP of an alien culture and civilisation, and I've really enjoyed playing as other alien races. I think playing a Skrell could be a fun RP challenge.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Skrell names are very long and difficult to pronounce for humans, with heavy use of Zs, Xs and Qs. As such, Skrell working in human cultures will generally either use a shortened version of their own name or take on a new, human-sounding name that might not quite fit human naming conventions. For example, the name Xremuhillbavizoloix Yeriiixnolixasqeribal might be shortened to Xremhil Qeribal, or the Skrell in question might take a new human name instead.

Summarize what you know about the species.
    I get that you don't want wiki regurgitation, so I'll keep the details brief.
    The Skrell are an ancient and technologically advanced civilisation of amphibian humanoids from the planet Qerr'Balak. They are decentralised into various city-states, however their society is very homogeneous, making cohesion between them easier than it would be for a human civilisation. However, their decentralised civilisation makes the development and spreading of new technologies harder, alongside their rigorous testing standards. This means that Skrellian technological progress has stagnated in recent years. The only real rival they have for power is the Ascent, who once fought a bloody war against them hundreds of years ago. Though they signed a treaty, Skrell and Ascent have been locked in a cold war ever since.

Skrellian society is caste-based, with five castes in total and a large number of subcastes within those. These castes are the Qerr-Katish, the leaders of Skrellian society; the Malish-Katish, the scientist caste; the Kanin-Katish, the caste of builders and the main work force of the Skrell; the Talum-Katish, the artist caste; and the Raskinta-Katish, the warrior caste.
    While Skrell castes are social rather than biological, procreation between different castes is rare, resulting in the castes having clear genetic differences, with each of them tending towards a range of skin colours. Castes are not strict rules on what a Skrell can and cannot do in life, though, more like extremely strong social pressures which make deviance from one's caste rare.

The Skrell language is, by human standards, immensely complex in both the spoken and written form. Skrellian is an intricate and very expressive language, with minor variations in tone and pitch able to give a sentence a whole new meaning. The written form reflects this, with thousands of homonyms only differentiated by small marks representing the writer's inflection. However, the richness and expressiveness of Skrellian means that they often find it difficult to express emotion when speaking other, less expressive languages.

While Skrell are very similar to humans in a lot of ways, the key difference is the individualism of human society vs the extremely communal Skrell. In addition, humanity's rapid technological advancement likely concerns many Skrell, with some fearing they may soon lose their technological edge all together. The chaotic individualism of humanity likely upsets many more conservative Skrell as well, who may worry that the human way of life will begin to erode the traditional Skrell way of living - as it already has in some regards, such as the introduction of human currency.

Character Concept:
    Xremuhillbavizoloix Yeriiixnolixasqeribal (Xremhil Qeribal), Explorer
    Xremhil is a Malish-Katish Skrell on her Keri-Gloa, who enlisted with an exchange program with the Expeditionary Corps. She is a student from an academy on the planet of Harr'qac. She is a young Skrell, with a burning curiousity about human life and culture. Harr'qac is a border world, near several human colonies, and the impact of humanity and their culture on the Skrell is one hotly debated in planetary politics. When the EC exchange opportunity arose, Xremhil was excited by the possibility of seeing the human society that had been so fiercely discussed, and jumped at the chance to enlist. Now an explorer in the EC, she is looking forward to forming her own opinion of humanity while progressing on her Keri-Gloa.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  2. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Skrell don't particularly view things in the light of "rival for power" as on the whole they're pretty open to cooperation, trade and sharing with other aliens. The Ascent aren't the only thing they deal with away from humanity, either, it's just the only one humanity knows about. There are myriad aliens/cultures all along the great big warble border that cause them to increasingly get boxed in.

Answer these here questions:

1. How do you feel an individual Skrell of a given caste views themselves in Skrell society, their place in the world, and how they fit.

2. A Malish-Katish, serving as a trauma surgeon in the emergency department of a large central hospital, is beset with a sudden rush of patients, as are most other hospital staff. The Malish now has a serious situation infront of them, they have three patients: Two of these are the sons of the city-states Qerr-Skria, badly wounded from a shuttlecrash. Their wounds are deadly, and will require vital medical treatment soon. The other possible patient is a Kanin-Katish, who you are aware is the supervisor of the Cities water treatment and processing plant, responsible for the water supply for the entire city. They have been brutally wounded carrying out vital repair tasks to the system and are, likewise, in need of urgent treatment. Whoever is left to be treated second has exceptionally low chances of survival. Who would the Malish choose to treat first, and why?

3. RustingWithYou

RustingWithYou Bartender

As some of the more conservative members of Skrell society, I'd imagine your typical Qerr-Katish probably takes pride in their place in Skrell society. Outside of the royal families, Qerr-Katish tend to have important roles such as lawyers and diplomats, and I'd imagine them as being very proud of their highly skilled and important work. Given that Skrellian society is ruled by Qerr-Katish, I'd imagine them as being less questioning of its structure or rebellious against it - after all, they're the ones who benefit the most from the way society is set up currently.
    The Malish-Katish are scientists, meaning considering and engaging with new ideas is a significant part of their job. I'd imagine that a Malish would be more willing to question established social norms if they felt that they were irrational or that it could be done better. However, they likely would not do much to voice these complaints, so long as their issues with society didn't impact their ability to continue with their work. I'd say that a typical Malish would likely not have much issue with the general structure of society, but rather more specific qualms about the implementation.
    The Kanin-Katish are a very large, traditional and communal caste. As such, I'd say they'd probably fit the most comfortably into their social role, with deviance being rare due to their tightly-knit community. If asked, a typical Kanin would probably say something along the lines of "This is how things have been done for centuries, and the city hasn't fallen down around us yet. Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do." They'd probably view themselves as like a very small cog in the vast machine that is Skrell civilisation, and take pride in the fact that they and their caste are the bedrock that all the Skrell's achievements are built on.
    It's harder to define a typical Talum, as they're by far the most individualistic and free-thinking caste. I'd say a Talum-Katish, as an artist, would be more likely to openly critique Skrell society and their place in it. I'd imagine they might create some kind of art dedicated to expressing this sentiment, perhaps acting as a form of satire against their city-state or society as a whole. Among the Skrell, the Talum are likely the most progressive, as creating art is a matter of constantly challenging oneself with new ideas.
    Raskinta-Katish are one of the most conservative castes, and they care very little for personal gain or self-improvement. As such, I'd say they would be the most conformist Skrell, happily accepting their role as warriors for the greater good of the Skrell as a whole. Even if an individual Raskinta is not happy with their place in the world, they likely wouldn't do anything about it. After all, they do what they have to do for the greater good of Skrellkind, what is an individual Skrell's happiness compared to that?

2. The surgeon would treat the Kanin-Katish first. Their work is too important to the city's infrastructure to allow them to die, especially given that they were wounded carrying out vital repairs which have likely not been completed due to the injury - and if the supervisor of the entire water treatment system was carrying out the repairs personally, they were likely very difficult. While the Qerr-Skria themselves would be a different story and provide more of a dilemma, their sons are not critical to the city's operation, and can't expect to receive special treatment based on who their parent is. Letting the Kanin-Katish die would put the entire city at extreme risk, making it a simple utilitarian decision to save them instead of the Qerr-Skria's sons.

4. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

I actually just meant *one* caste and not all of them, but, that works.

Approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.