Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RustingWithYou - Vox

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by RustingWithYou, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustingWithYou

RustingWithYou Assistant

About You

What is your Byond key?
    RustingWithYou

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    About six months

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Casimir Tilton, Senior Researcher
    Rusty Ali, Prospector

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Vox

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I've encountered Vox raiders quite a few times as prospector, and I find them interesting antagonists. Having read some of the lore, I find them one of the most interesting species in bay lore right now, and I'd like to see more players playing them, so I figured I should put my money where my mouth is.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    A Vox name, in Vox Pigdin, is a summarised version of that Vox's position and role. To someone who doesn't understand Vox Pigdin, it will sound like an incomprehensible screeching noise. Some example Vox names would be Kraikitiarii, Riitrikakari or Raiikyattalikkatiivaak.

Summarize what you know about the species.
    The Vox are a mystery to most of the galaxy, largely just viewed as greedy, cowardly thieves. Vox are in reality the bio-engineered servants of an extinct race, now serving the ancient biological supercomputers their creators left behind. These computers, known as the Apex, are so degraded after thousands of years that they are effectively insane, giving seemingly random and erratic commands - which the Vox follow religiously.
    Vox technology is a bizarre patchwork of extremely advanced technology left by their creators and crudely patched together stolen technology from other species. One of the most important pieces of Vox technology is the cortical stack, a second authoritative brain that is implanted into every Vox. This basically is a Vox's consciousness, which can be recovered and resleeved in another Vox body. However, Vox memories fade over time when the stack is not active.

Vox view other species as non-sentient due to their lack of a cortical stack, and as such have a general apathy towards them, referring to them as 'meat'. Meat is ignored unless it is useful to the Vox, after which it is discarded or eaten. Because of this, Vox are generally shunned in civilised space, and make do raiding and salvaging in backwater systems. Vox tend to avoid well-armed targets, giving them a galactic reputation as cowards.
    Vox will not actively pursue violence unless the meat is outnumbered, outgunned or both.
    Self-preservation and preservation of other Vox are extremely important to the Vox, as they lack the ability to create new cortical stacks. As Vox numbers are ever-dwindling, retrieving stacks is an extremely high priority.
    Vox have a series of neck and face markings that are basically their entire personal history/genetic lineage.

2. lavillastrangiato

lavillastrangiato Bartender

pls gibe rust a whitelist. his lore dick is absolutely huge
    also on a more serious note rust is a great roleplayer and i really think he'd be able to pull off a vox character that isn't "SKREE SHITBIRD" very well

Myphicbowser likes this.
  3. funguss

funguss Deputy Vox Maintainer

Nice concise application, I've seen you in game and you're a solid player, so I'm leaning toward an accept. Could use just a /little/ more length, so I'd like if you wrote a character concept, how you'd react to certain RP scenarios, (Torch/Ascent showing up to an away site, etc) or even both if you want extra points.

RustingWithYou likes this.
  4. RustingWithYou

RustingWithYou Assistant

My character concept was a very tech-savvy Primalis named God knows what, I'm terrible at coming up with human names and Vox names all look like keysmashing. They're a physically weaker Vox, generally putting them at the lower end of the hierarchy when working with other Vox. I'd normally play them as a merchant seeking to acquire new parts to maintain the arkship or, if on the vox box, the ship's engineer. They're very adept at working with meat tech, and maybe I'd give them some cybernetics for them to excessively tinker with as well.

If the Torch showed up to an away site, I'd probably react depending on how many Vox there are with me. If I were the only one, I'd probably attempt to avoid the explorers while finding the Charon and attempting to steal as much as possible without being detected. If I had other Vox with me, I'd probably be more aggressive, perhaps even trying to steal the Charon itself to scrap for parts. If the explorers returned to the Charon, I'd grab whatever I could carry and book it.

If the Ascent showed up and I was alone, I'd get the fuck out of there. Rock bugs are dangerous motherfuckers. If I had some backup, I'd probably take a look at their ship, maybe see if they have anything worth stealing. I might also leave the planet and see if I can find the seedship in the sector under the logic that if they're on the planet, it's probably less well-guarded and I might be able to steal some of their advanced technology.

5. funguss

funguss Deputy Vox Maintainer

Those answers are good enough for me, since you seem to know what vox are all about and are a decent player from what I've seen,
    Accepted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.