Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted SammasC123 - Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Game Moderators - Archive' started by Carnation Garneys, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carnation Garneys

Carnation Garneys Game Moderator

About You

What is your Byond key?
    SammasC123

What is your IRC or Discord handle?
    Vimas#4922

In UTC, what time range(s) do you usually play in?
    12:00 AM to 5:00 AM.

What are the names of your most played characters?
    Carnation Garneys, FB-Ezra, Mallow Dhawan, Foxglove HC8.

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?
    Started about four years ago.

How long have you been playing on Baystation? How much are you involved with our off-server community?
    I've been playing Bay since June/July 2020. I occasionally post PRs, and I chat up on the bay discord fairly often!

Have you been a moderator or admin on other Space Station 13 servers?
    Nope!

Have you been in a moderation role for a forum or on chat channels before?
    While it's not a forum or chat channel, I was a mod in an old modded minecraft server for about six months before the population fizzled. It wasn't large, at its peak it had about twenty people.

Tell us about you. What will make you a good moderator?
    I run a lot of tabletops and other role-play-based games, and with it all kinds of problem players and group conflicts. I also happen to work in student mediation in real life and I feel like those skills and training will do me well. I think communication is the key to most community issues, and I've got plenty of experience facilitating that. I also have experience in just about every job category in Bay. I often play as a department head, specifically the head of security and executive officer, I'm familiar with all the basic medical chems and surgery, I've PR'd drinks for bartender, piloted the Charon, Torch, Aquila, and Cyclopes, explored exoplanets, refurbished the bar as an engineer multiple times, set up new APCs, bred slimes, sent packages as supply, I know all the F-Tech tricks and tips, how to write a warrant, how the traitor items work (I made the pickpocket gloves!), and how to play changeling, amongst many other things.

To the best of your knowledge and understanding, how you would interpret and handle the following scenarios?

Cornydinner9/(Blake Ashdown)) continually responds in LOOC in regards to the actions of 3wolfmoon/(Alek Mendoza) on their character rather than reacting to them normally. When you use OOC => Who, it shows that Cornydinner9 joined the server for the first time two days ago.

I'd ping 3wolfmoon to ask what happened, as well as any specific examples that stand out. In the meantime, time to talk to Cornydinner9. Let's give them a greeting. After that, I’m going to explain what LOOC is for, and how he should instead be using the say and me commands. Since they’re new, I don’t mind going into detail here, as well as pointing out the rules tab and new players guide.

gleaming3, an observer, has started a ticket in which they claim that StaleMichel50/(Pete Wethers) is "killing without RP", and they have not provided much information. When you use Admin => Check Antagonists, StaleMichel50 is listed as a traitor.
    First off, I want details from gleaming3- they've likely been watching this the longest and have probably guessed this is an antag. We don't want to clarify to gleaming that Michel is an antag, we just want to know what's happening. If it seems like there's more than one wordless killing, and no clear gimmick or end goal to it, then it's time to pop in with StaleMichel50 and see what his plans are. Simple as “Hey, do you have a minute?” If he states he has a plan and has only killed one or two people, great! Otherwise, I’m going to make sure he knows about antag rules, and what is expected of an antag on bay. If this becomes an issue, such as if his notes show that he’s had a history of poor antag behaviour or he’s getting standoffish, it’s time to escalate to the admins. Close the tickets, tell gleaming the situation is handled.

While you are observing, you notice that melancholy_Chad/(Ogden Bullthorn) and ProudYolande08/(Lou Penny) are both explorers, and have seemingly miraculously been able to find and rescue each other on the exoplanet with ease, in spite of their distances apart at various times and lack of communication with one another.
    I want to check the player panels to see if they started to play at the same time, whether or not this has been an issue in the past, if they’re new, etc. I'll start with melancholy_Chad- ask one specific example of how they found Lou Penny when he was in trouble, without hearing as such over communications. I’ll ask ProudYolande08 the same. Discuss with the other staff, should they be there, about the odds that the two are metacomming. If I'm the only one there, I'm going to leave a note on each of their panels, and warn them that metacomming is against the rules and is a bannable offense.

Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) is complaining about BIGMAMMOTH/(Jessica Olivers)'s character being "unprofessional" in adminhelps. Upon looking at the situation, you find that the actions of BIGMAMMOTH do not violate any server rules, though Superiordorene is clearly upset.
    My primary focus here is to de-escalate, so I want to give them the time to hear what they have to say. When they're done speaking, I'll let them know that I have handled the situation. I'd be prepared to offer my side of what happened to the rest of the staff if this ended up becoming a player complaint.

A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) on the bridge. While the issue appears legitimate. There are a number of discrepancies in the stories between colorful_berry67 and StraightGertude15, with the story provided by EnergeticPlastic not relating at all to those of the other two.

Oh boy. First, I’ll let colorful_berry67 know that I'm looking into it, and to please be patient while I gather the information. Now it's time to play a game of look for the discrepancies. Are there any antagonists among them? If there was combat, that's something I can dive into using View Variables. While I’m at it, let's ask onlookers from deadchat to ahelp to help clarify what happened and check logs to know who to warn, note, and point the admins too. Once the situation has been uncovered to the best of my ability, it's time to take notes on what happened, give warnings as appropriate, write notes, escalate where required, and then try to calm down and de-escalate all those involved.

2. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kōhai №1 Director of Administration Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Hiya @Vimas

After going over your answers, getting feedback, and checking your activity, I'm happy to accept you as a trial moderator. Here's what to do next.

1. Make sure you have the Game Moderator Guide open in a tab, bookmarked, or whatever you do to get to a page quickly. Take the time to read it now, if you haven't already.

2. From the start of Sunday 18th in UTC (or about 6 hours after this post), whenever you're connected to the server and willing to participate in your trial (you don't have to, but not doing trial mod stuff during your trial is a good way to fail), send an adminhelp requesting trial moderator powers. Note that an admin has to be online to do this for you - you can ask in #staffcoach to get someone's attention if nobody is around on the server.

3. Remember that your role as a moderator is, in short, to a) mentor players by answering questions and helping with problems, and b) be part of the first stage of rule enforcement through player contact and note-keeping. Avoid personal interpretations of the rules, and if other staff members tell you that you've got something wrong, listen to what they have to say.

4. Start moderating! Your best approach is going to be to get your trial moderator powers and watch other staff handling things for a short while before you dive in yourself. I strongly recommend that you make your first round as a trial moderator one that is well populated with both staff and players. Don't forget to talk to the other staff online, because they can and will help you with your own questions and concerns.

5. Have fun. Just because you're going for a staff position doesn't mean you can't play the game. As a trial moderator you have the option to both not request powers, and to hide your moderator tools if you want to stop mid-round. If things feel too hectic or you're frustrated with doing staff tasks while you're trying to play, you can just play.

If you have anything you need to address with me before you trial, such as an upcoming period of absence, please send me a forum PM or contact me on discord so that we can discuss how to work around the issue.

Thanks for your application! Good luck with your trial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.