Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted Samuuu3 - GAS

Discussion in 'Archived Species Applications' started by Samuuu3, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuuu3

Samuuu3 Donator

I was told to remake my App 3-4 weeks after my first and this is 3 so lets go.

About You

What is your Byond key?

Samuuu3

What is your Discord username?

Samuuu3#6660

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?

About everyday for about 2 month

What are the names of your better-known characters?

Ugne Zumaratie - Physician

Audrone Sulcaite - Pathfinder

Vidmante Makiazas - MAA

Alexandra Azukaite - CO

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?

Giant armoured serpentids, AKA GAS, Snake-bugs, and Nabbers.

Why do you want to play as the alien species?

I’ve always been fascinated by creatures without legs like the two snakes I own. Plus I really love the Concept of the GAS.

What are some example names for the alien species?

Steve
    Amy
    Samantha
    Jeff

Summarize what you know about the species.

All giant armoured serpentids come from the planet Tau-Wilo which is a tropical planet with a very dense atmosphere and low gravity.

Xynergy has set up a research facility there to help with their GAS training program, Xynergy has a grading scheme for GAS based on their skills(A-C) and temperament around humans. (+ Neutral Or -)

The GAS stand around 9ft tall on average which is very tall compared to a human.

Gas have two sets of arms that use the same muscle so only one set can be used at a time. The first set are the large scythelike pair used for hunting and ambushing. The second smaller set is more like human arms but with 3 fingerlike appendages, these can be used for finer manipulation.

Gas have a thick exoskeleton that can blend into the environment using iridophores. Gas eyesight is very good including in the dark and has a full 360 view of their surroundings, bright lights like fires, flashes, and lighters can damage them easily. They can use their nearly opaque lenses to block such lights at the cost of their vision.

GAS use phoron gathered from the food they eat as well as the air around them, They mix the phoron with acetone which is made from a special organ that harvests acetone from the environment around them and their food to create dexalin to combat the lack of pressure in human centric environments such as the Torch or other human locations.

GAS live in colonies generally with around 30-200~ members each. All GAS have varying loyalties to their colonies. Some will be loyal and defend it and some will change colonies at a whim if they see a better opportunity

GAS do not like being touched and have large areas of personal space due to the fact GAS typically never have contact with others they don’t mean to hurt. Crowded GAS will use body language to alert others to its discomfort, hitting the offender with their tibia on their hunting arms. This can be harmful to humans but not so much with other GAS.

GAS are visual learners and can copy other GAS perfectly, although this does not work at all with other species eg: humans or skrell ect. Verbal instructions do not work either in this regard.

GAS can't speak humanoid languages without the assistance of translation machines. GAS tend to speak as if they are rambling, replacing punctuation with conjunctions. This is very much like their thought process. So instead of saying “I ate a lot of cabbage this morning. I’m not hungry anymore.” It would be like “I ate a lot of cabbage this morning and I am not hungry anymore.”

What is your character concept for your trial period?

Martina (Grade B+) Deck Technician

Martina is a 18 year old GAS with a dark bluish green coloration. Martina is a GAS that is not fully literate but tends to get along with humans well, She comes from a standard Xynergy facility that trains midgrade GAS. At the facility she seemed more sociable with humans than the typical GAS which helped lead to her + Grading, in line with this, when encountering a troubling situation she opts to run away. If cornered she will attempt to intimidate the offender away or look for an opening to retreat. As a last resort she might tap the offender with the edge of her hunting arms. Martina often thinks it's weird how often the rest of the crew stares at her, and often says something about it to see why they are. She enjoys talking to the crew in her spare time and doesn’t mind having long conversations.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    CriticalGENERAL, Jar, ryan062 and 3 others like this.
  2. Samuuu3

Samuuu3 Donator

3. Samuuu3

Samuuu3 Donator

Bump 2

4. Samuuu3

Samuuu3 Donator

Bump 3

5. Eonoc

Eonoc Vox Species Maintainer Deputy Serpentid Maintainer

Rrrrighto, taking over here so this isn't left hanging forever. Application itself looks really solid, I'm just going to ask some followup questions of some less-standard situations to see how your character would handle it.

1. Martina goes to her workplace and finds someone already there. They do not seem to be Cargo staff. What does she do?
    2. Martina is hurt in a workplace accident. What does she do, and how does she seek medical attention (if at all)?
    3. Martina is being shouted at and harassed by an unruly crewmember who wants an item she cannot provide. They then climb the desk and try to enter her workplace. What does she do?
    4. Martina is asked to order weapons by a Security Officer, who is saying the CoS cleared this. What does she do?

6. Samuuu3

Samuuu3 Donator

1. Marina would ask them why they are there and depending on the answer probably run and call for security
    2. depending on how hurt she is she would go to medbay. She is a + rating so she would suffer through human contact to not die
    3. Martina would ask them to please stop and if they continue run away and call for security
    4. She would probably want to double check with the CoS over radio first but after confirmation do the order.

7. Eonoc

Eonoc Vox Species Maintainer Deputy Serpentid Maintainer

Answers are a little spares, but have all the 'meat' I was generally looking for. We can get further detail in the trial. Also, using this opportunity to clear up a few minor misconceptions:
    ""Gas have two sets of arms that use the same muscle so only one set can be used at a time.""
    They do not purely use 'muscles' in the mammalian understanding, instead they use a combination of muscles and a organic hydraulics system in conjuction in order to operate their limbs. It is the hydraulic portion that does not allow both limbs to be fully utilized at the same time, but they are always capable of some limited motion even if not 'active'.

""to create dexalin to combat the lack of pressure in human centric environments""
    They do not use dexalin to combat the air pressure, but rather the air oxygenation. In point of fact, with their exoskeletons being as they are, they are generally unaffected by air pressure in any way (except when extremely, EXTREMELY high.) Their system can in fact operate without needing dexalin if in an environment with high enough oxygenation.

""GAS can't speak humanoid languages without the assistance of translation machines.""
    The issue is not one of translation, but biological incompatibility. A GAS can (and do) fully understand languages they are taught even if they have no vocal implant, but they physically cannot produce the sounds needed for verbal speech, and as such the 'machines' mentioned are not translators, but vocal synthesizers. It's the same concept as the fact that humans could not produce birdsong, even if they understood the meaning.
    Approved.
    So, please note that this does not mean you can play GAS right away, as you do need to engage in a trial round (or two, depending on how active the round is) with myself or one of the other GAS maintainers just to make sure you're not playing with any misconceptions. I'll be more available to do trials until May 15th, after that my schedule gets cluttered again. Feel free to ping me on Discord, and we can sort out a day that works for you.

CriticalGENERAL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.