Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sarcasmotron500 - Adherent Application

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Sarcasmotron500, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarcasmotron500

Sarcasmotron500 Assistant

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Sarcasmotron 500

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Three weeks, maybe?

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    • Filthbot, hero janibot
    • C.H.E.R.Y.L, cheerful/dippy repairbot
    • Cressida Cordova/Newport/Hargrave, bartender and aspiring singer who changes her last name in search of the perfect stage name
    • Meena Said, softspoken but occasionally incredulous engineer trainee (the one with the orange hijab)
    • Raina Joss, counselor with lollipops

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Adherent/Vigil

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    As evidenced by my two most-played characters (Filthbot and C.H.E.R.Y.L), I like playing non-humans in service roles who are sometimes puzzled by organics. Coming up with protocols on the fly sounds like fun RP potential. I think they're interesting and I don't see them that often. Also, they look cool.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Adherent names usually relate to their job, with some letters and numbers appended. Things like Cataloguer G-66D (scientist/researcher), Wayfarer AC-823 (passenger or pilot), Mixologist 27-J (bartender), Sanitation Caretaker X-341 (janitor).

Summarize what you know about the species.
    Very polite aliens who feel service is their purpose and find fulfillment there. A disastrous solar flare event known as the Scream wiped out their creators, leaving the Adherent bereft of much-needed guidance --- they rely on the Protocol, a series of regulations that unfortunately don't cover every situation an Adherent might encounter. Not having rules is just weird. They have dedicated themselves to the memory of their creators, seeking out lost information and, if possible, the creators themselves. They abhor selfishness and value non-artificial life over their own, but not to the point where they lack self-preservation.

Physically, they're composed of silicon crystal generally installed in a crystal-ceramic shell. The number of facets their silicon crystal mass is indicative of processing power, which varies and, presumably, makes some Adherents able to do jobs that others might not be able to. More facets means more adaptive thinking. They are pretty dang big, being 2-3 meters in height. They weigh less than might be expected when live due to piezeoelectrical shaped fields that support their chassis. Adherent have five to eight long, trailing tentacles dangling from a bulbous head with two smaller, forward-facing tendrils are used for physical manipulation - so it has multiple tentacles, but only two can use tools. Their voices are somewhat musical; they chime, for example.

The Vigil has three main factions.

Loyalists remain dedicated to the Creators and the Protocol in all ways. They are highly servile and led by Traffic Control Hub 37-Q, the highest-ranked authority in the Vigil.

Most Adherent are Preservers, who prefer to leave the planets they discover pristine, recording information for the Creators or whoever winds up replacing said Creators. Mourners are a more extreme faction of Preservers, intent on recounting tragedies of wherever they're orbiting and asking others not to touch it. They sound like buzzkills.

Separatists have the crazy idea that the Adherent should be proactive about forging a new order for themselves instead of clinging to their lost Creators.

Edited to add Joss.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. Gentlefood

Gentlefood Adherent Species Maintainer

Go ahead and give me a character concept include what faction they would be a part of and why.

3. Sarcasmotron500

Sarcasmotron500 Assistant

Navigator NV-112 works as a pilot, serving organics (nobody ever wants to be the one who waits patiently at the shuttle, but that's A-OK with Navi) and seeking out new worlds and systems to record and index, either for the creators or their replacements. Polite and kind, Navi is an sympathetic optimist who believes the best of people and speaks gently.

As a Preserver, Navi would prefer the places they visit remain untouched and pristine, though they understand that the Explorers take samples for research. Navi just doesn't have to like it, but it's hardly going to be rude about it.

If I could be a Separatist masquerading as a Preserver, that'd be awesome. I highly doubt it will ever come up in RP since I intend to play it close to my chest, but secretly looking for a place to start over without clinging to the Protocol seems like a very fun background motivation for RP and a reason not to be too upset about those samples being taken.

4. Gentlefood

Gentlefood Adherent Species Maintainer

Alright approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.