Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sarcasmotron500 - Skrell

Discussion in 'Alien Species' started by Sarcasmotron500, Apr 22, 2021.

1. About You

What is your Byond key?
    Sarcasmotron500

What is your Discord username?
    Nerdbrarian#8475

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Coming up on two years in mid-July.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    * C.H.E.R.Y.L, cheery repair robot
    * Horrified Screams, science poncho Doona
    * Legacy Sokada, roboticist
    * Min Quinn, cheery bunny medtech
    * Scrappy, mismatched IPC engineer/(rarely)roboticist
    * Susurrus of Tiny Wings, medical resident doona
    * Suazor Hesske, Unathi explorer
    * Vi Nakada, gothy deck technician
    * Zoask Iszu, Unathi medtech

About The Species
    What alien species are you applying for?
    Skrell

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I'd like to see more Skrell around! I'm also fond of playing aliens, as it gives me the opportunity to replay jobs with a different perspective/background. I've been around long enough to have played most jobs and it's nice to have that fresh perspective.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Mi'Kriix Kruu-axia, Shannon Qi'Auxia, Syliuv Quuvol, Taeq'xeu Welta, Wyona Mi'roa'qix. I am not super good with alien species names until I hit randomize on the name generator a few hundred times and modify from there.

Summarize what you know about the species.
    This is hard to do without spitting out wiki stuff.

BIOLOGY:
    Humanoid. Share some traits with frogs – amphibious, both lungs and gills, sort of a vaguely slimy appearance. Vegetarian. Hard to poison. Part of the way they breathe is through their skin, making prosthetic parts unsatisfactory.

CASTES:
    * Kanin-Katish (Caste of the Builder): More blue collar, in human terms. The workforce. Goods production, services, engineering, construction. Kind of conservative for Skrell.

* Malish-Katish (Caste of the Mind): Scientists, scholars, researchers. Not super social. Brainy types. Better at logic than dealing with feelings, which by no means they don't have them.

* Qerr-Katish (High Caste): Leaders. Politicians, diplomats, lawyers, managers. Only ones allowed to be 'kings' of city-states.

* Raskinta-Katish (Caste of Warriors): Militaristic caste. Guardians, protectors, and more rarely sport fighters. Very community oriented, which is a super good quality in cops.

* Talum-Katish (Caste of the Artist): Creative types. Artists, entertainers, poets, actors, writers, singers – music is very important to Skrell and particularly prevalent among this caste. Considered the most individualistic of Skrellkind.

SOCIETY:
    Very cooperative. Skrell place more importance on helping the whole than they do individual gains, but they still look out for their own families and the like/strive for success.

Scientifically they are much more advanced than humans, though they have plateaued in their scientific advancements for quite a while now.

Theirs is a fast-growing population. Extensive spread throughout the systems, to the point where it takes time for ideas and discoveries to spread.

Skrell aren't good at facial expressions like humans are, which has led to them being considered unemotional. Not true! Humans just have stretchy faces. Theirs is not a monolithic culture, with Skrell having a variety of traits and goals, not all altruistic.

QUESTIONS:
    * Do all Skrell follow the caste systems? What about establishments/communities very very far away from Qerr'balak? Could they have undertaken their own societal structures? Like, say, some Skrell that left on a ship to search out a habitable world to undertake farming and be self-sufficient. Maybe they would have engineers and farmers but no dedicated artists or diplomats. Could that be a thing?

Finally, I have found this whitelist intimidating for quite a while. I hope that by now I have demonstrated a good play history and enough alien-minded characters to have given a good impression.

2. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Your questions: All Skrell follow the caste system. The one one out of many billions isn't something you'd probably run into. Skrell are, generally, exceptionally homogenous, and not given to massive social and cultural change. They like stability and cooperation, and this has resulted in their social structure not diverging massively as they've spread out across the stars. The other thing is Skrell colonisation is a massive effort, usually only to the next habitable planet/system over rather than far far away and their castes are all accepted as equally important to their success and viability of their civilisation. Trying to make a colony without sufficient representation and the important things all castes provide would not be considered viable by warbles. Yes, there has been some influence from humanity in the borderworlds with some human ideas getting popular. But that doesn't mean there's a currently pervasive rapidly ongoing change of warble existence.

Besides the question, you haven't actually made an attempt to follow the special requirements laid out in the spec apps page, those being:

"In your application, I am not expecting you to regurgitate the wiki page, far from it, I only really expect a really brief summary about the species in general. What I really want to see from an applicant is that they understand the mindset of the Skrell, the species as a whole and their place in society so that you can demonstrate an understanding of how they're meant to be roleplayed. I'm not expecting an essay on this, only decent effort."

Which I am looking for more than the brief one line summaries provided. Please make an attempt to do the thing above and prod me when done!

3. From what I can tell, Skrell are pragmatic - they like efficiency. They are thoughtful and long-term thinkers prone to bureaucracy; there are rules and regulations but they are meaningful ones. One thing that stands out to me is that they are very curious but also concerned about safety with regards to science. Things could go a lot faster but they exercise caution and that definitely slows things down. Skrell seem very meticulous and concerned about following procedures and protocols, but it seems like their procedures and protocols would be very well thought out.

Skrell appreciate subtlety over aggression. They are generally cordial and respectful, seeing the value in each other and their contributions to society. Everyone has their role to play. I like this aspect of their culture as it seems like they would be less likely to undervalue blue collar workers.

When they do disagree they are likely to resolve the conflict with diplomacy or, if that isn't possible, espionage. Outright violence seems unusual.

4. Eckles

A teensy bit minimal. On the point of procedure and protocol, while yes, for many things, they're also prone to cutting corners when it comes to things like personal safety in order to get something done if waiting would be unacceptable in terms of a delay or denial of a critical need (e.g. doing something potentially dangerous to get the power grid for a city online instead of waiting for alternatives or specific gear that would make it safer if it would take too long).

1.How do you feel a skrell from one given caste of your choice sees their place in life? In society? Compared to other skrell? Answer this from the perspective of an individual, not a glorified stereotype of their castes ideals.

2.What do you feel is the primary issue facing the Skrell as a whole is?

3. In what ways do you feel the Skrell and Humanity contrast?

4. A Malish-Katish, serving as a trauma surgeon in the emergency department of a large central hospital, is beset with a sudden rush of patients, as are most other hospital staff. The Malish now has a serious situation infront of them, they have three patients: Two of these are the sons of the city-states Qerr-Skria, badly wounded from a shuttlecrash. Their wounds are deadly, and will require vital medical treatment soon. The other possible patient is a Kanin-Katish, who you are aware is the supervisor of the Cities water treatment and processing plant, responsible for the water supply for the entire city. They have been brutally wounded carrying out vital repair tasks to the system and are, likewise, in need of urgent treatment. Whoever is left to be treated second has exceptionally low chances of survival. Who would the Malish choose to treat first, and why?

5. How do you feel Skrell handle conflict resolution between each other? How about with humans/other aliens?

6. In many ways, Raskinta and Kanin seem like they are quite similar in mentality, culture and approach. But how do you feel Raskinta and Kanin might contrast?

5. Still working on this, sorry.

6. 1. How do you feel a skrell from one given caste of your choice sees their place in life? In society? Compared to other skrell? Answer this from the perspective of an individual, not a glorified stereotype of their castes ideals.
    Q'villux Xillili is a Kanin-Katish who works as an architect. She is happy with her accomplishments and feels she's put in some good work for her city-state. She finds she enjoys working with the Talum on various buildings; she respects their opinions and delights in collaborating on design. She is also very fond of music and practices an instrument with a few Talum-Katish friends sometimes after work. She is grateful for the protection of the Raskinta and follows one particular sporting team. She is not all that fond of her boss, a Querr-Katish she thinks takes credit for other peoples' ideas.

2. What do you feel is the primary issue facing the Skrell as a whole is?
    Hard to pick just one! I think their rapid expansion coupled with their plateau in scientific discovery. The difficulty of communication between vast distances is a bit worrisome. They've also expanded outward quite far and risk being penned in by other species laying claim to nearby resources. And if those species turn out to be hostile, reinforcements can potentially be a long way off.

3. In what ways do you feel the Skrell and Humanity contrast?
    Humans are volatile risk-takers with a 'hold my beer' approach to life that Skrell find strange. They don't plan nearly as much in contrast and they don't have a caste system, either, which makes things quite chaotic from a Skrell point of view. How do they know what jobs they're best suited for? Why are they so rowdy? While Skrell are emotional, humans often wear their hearts on their sleeve and sometimes throw said hearts at other people. It's messy. It's hard to know what humans will do next, which makes them interesting.

4. A Malish-Katish, serving as a trauma surgeon in the emergency department of a large central hospital, is beset with a sudden rush of patients, as are most other hospital staff. The Malish now has a serious situation infront of them, they have three patients: Two of these are the sons of the city-states Qerr-Skria, badly wounded from a shuttlecrash. Their wounds are deadly, and will require vital medical treatment soon. The other possible patient is a Kanin-Katish, who you are aware is the supervisor of the Cities water treatment and processing plant, responsible for the water supply for the entire city. They have been brutally wounded carrying out vital repair tasks to the system and are, likewise, in need of urgent treatment. Whoever is left to be treated second has exceptionally low chances of survival. Who would the Malish choose to treat first, and why?
    They treat the Kanin first, because the Kanin is more important to the well-being of the city *currently*. This is an emergency, and the water supply is very, very important. Saving the Kanin saves the lives of many and is more likely to prevent a cascade of emergencies. The loss of the Qerr is unfortunate but the Kanin has priority.

5. How do you feel Skrell handle conflict resolution between each other? How about with humans/other aliens?
    As politely as they can manage, I think, though that ability varies from Skrell to Skrell. Skrell are community-minded and I think concerned about how their actions don't just reflect themselves – they reflect caste, City-State, species as a whole. This is less of an issue between themselves – a Skrell doesn't have to prove themselves to another Skrell – but dealing with other species should leave a good impression, even if those others species might be a little backward. Between each other in more unusual cases they will resort to espionage. I'm not entirely sure how that applies to daily life, but it makes sense with things like corporations competing for the same jobs. They might try to steal formulas or secrets or spy on current projects.

6. In many ways, Raskinta and Kanin seem like they are quite similar in mentality, culture and approach. But how do you feel Raskinta and Kanin might contrast?
    Kanin work tends to produce more tangible results. It is easy to point to something built and feel pride in that. For a Raskinta, being success doesn't necessarily mean having something concrete to hold up as an example of good work. This is not universal for either caste; a Raskinta who is in sports could point at team wins for championships, trophies and the like; more service-oriented Kanin might have a more nebulous concept of 'doing well' – clients pleased with the service they receive at a clothing store, for example. The Raskinta have more opportunity for aggression and violence in dealing with others as soldiers and security, and they need the skills to deal with that more than a Kanin would.

7. Eckles

1. Sounds good.

2. Good.

3. " While Skrell are emotional, humans often wear their hearts on their sleeve and sometimes throw said hearts at other people." - I just want to say, slightly common misconception. Skrell are equally capable of this, it's just they lack the same level of facial expressionism, much of their emotion is expressed vocally, with body language taking a passenger seat for this, and facial expression being right out the window. You may well meet a highly emotional heart on their sleeve warble. The other issue is that human language just flat doesn't have the necessary depth to express what they feel properly, and for most skrell, that means, well, a human will never understand what they're feeling, so why bother explaining?

Just food for thought.

4. Good.

5. On the political and city-state level, they may engage in a lot of deception, underhanded manoeuvring, politics, economic wars, intimidation and outright assassination to resolve problems. On a personal level, more talk it out, be honest, direct, work out the issue, move forward from it mutually. There's a lot less parading and dancing around the issue with warbles who're trying to resolve issues with one another.

6. Good nuff.

Sorry I forgot to ask, gimmie two char concepts.

8. I'm not 100% on names.

Trixie Xillili, Chef (Talum-Katish)
    Having worked for a Qerr-Katish diplomat as a chef, Trixuuli'oounqqa Xillivillium is fascinated with alien cuisine. What better place to learn more about it than a ship full of different species? What is beef, and how do you prepare it properly? What goes well with it? Are there any spices that could perhaps be adapted to Skrellian food? Has exploration found a new mushroom with good nutrient value? She is also interested in the different styles of clothing the people on the Torch wear and pleased to chat about just about anything.

A sense of adventure has taken Trixie from her previous, much safer job. She may be in for a rude awakening on the Torch should the ship get into trouble.

Miieela Qi'Auxia, Explorer/Scientist (Malish-Katish)
    Miieeluavuxiia Qi'qirilliuoomavixauxia has, like most Malish, always been curious. She has also always been very shy. From a family with three bondings and a few more children than usual, she is used to being spoken over. She should probably learn how to stand up for herself more; as it is, she goes where she's told and convinces herself it's the best course of action anyway. As an explorer, she's very science-minded and detail-oriented --- finding new things is very exciting, but documenting them is very important! She is concerned with maintaining original ecosystems whenever possible and very reluctant to engage hostile fauna - though she won't let someone get eaten even if it means giving something a few whacks with a machete. When working as a scientist, she does well in repetitive tasks. Sloppy exploration bothers her so much.

And a third because I'm not 100% on it --- also are there Raskinta pilots in the Skrellian military? I decided Kanin would fit for piloting as a service but it might be interesting to have a pilot with soldiering skills.

Qu'viel Qualto, Shuttle Pilot (Kanin-Katish)
    Quauaoovielluam Quaalxivtualalto has provided piloting services for most of her life, and she is pretty bored of standard supply runs to the same places over and over and over again. With the exchange, she hopes to see new worlds and finally shake things up some. She might also be at least a little interested in actually leaving the Charon to poke about, for good or bad. When it comes to shuttle preparation, she is very meticulous. No leaving without the proper gear --- calling the Torch for more supplies would be downright embarrassing.