Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Shadowtail117 - Developer Application

Discussion in 'Developers - Archive' started by Shadowtail117, Jun 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOND Key: Shadowtail117
    Discord/IRC username: Shadow#6743
    Github profile URL: https://github.com/Shadowtail117
    Featured PRs:
    Why do you want to become a developer?: I've been a part of Baystation for a little while now. While I'll concede I don't have a lot of tenure and I'm not that well-known, I'd like to say that I've helped contribute a lot of beneficial changes to the server recently. I do my best to help other people contribute to keeping Baystation fresh and exciting, and I'd like to help out even further by becoming a full developer, especially given the extreme lack of developers right now.

Do you have any experience in open source projects?: I was a minor contributor to Fulpstation and a long time ago helped contribute to the osu! wiki (which used Github version control). I have some experience working on private projects using open-source tools like Github and Azure (though without any other collaborators). Baystation is where the majority of my experience comes from, however.

Do you have any experience in other languages?: Yes. My strongest is C#, but I also know a bit of Java, a bit of JavaScript, and a bit of HTML.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Getbrecked and Ozwell like this.
  2. Loaf

Loaf Retired Staff

A developer is primarily responsible for reviewing and merging PRs rather than authoring contributions. Your PR list consists primarily of very small changes and you don't seem to spend much time reviewing - do you believe you have the background to review and approve PRs like https://github.com/Baystation12/Baystation12/pull/27025 for example?

funguss likes this.
  3. Since it's ultimately the admins'/developers' reviews that matter for a PR's mergeability, and given the majority of recent PRs are small fixes that don't require thorough review, I haven't been looking at each one, per se. However, given the responsibility of reviewing PRs as a developer, that's certainly something I would do more if this application were accepted (and the lord knows we need more people reviewing PRs). And while I'll admit I'm not a master at DM, I feel like I have enough experience with it to review even heavy-duty PRs like the one you linked given enough time. And of course, I'm always looking to improve my skill with it.

4. Spookerton

Spookerton Head Administrator Director of Administration Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Howdy. Following on from the conversation in discord that happened after this was posted, I'm going to deny it this time around -- as much as interest in participation in this role is great to see, I don't think you have the exact kinds of experience to make it a good fit at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.