Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadowtail117 - Kharmaani

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Shadowtail117, May 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. About You

What is your Byond key?
    Shadowtail117

What is your Discord username?
    Shadow#6743

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Exactly three months today.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    (These are my most recently-played/most well-known characters; I play several others as well.)
    Ash Lizman
    Skashp I'lesk
    Jeremy Zian
    Jay Davis
    Darren MacIntosh
    Lionel Murray

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Kharmaani, one of three "groups" within The Ascent.

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    Before reading up on Ascent lore, I didn't really know what they were or what they wanted in-game; they just seemed like a powerful and deadly threat that may or may not kill the Torch for a dime. So I became really interested in what they were all about, and a few days ago I had a chance to encounter them and have an enjoyable experience. After reading the wiki their lore fascinates me and I would love to play such an interesting race.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    For Gynes:
    16-Shaded Valley
    23-Quiet Borough
    8-Torn Landmass
    For Alates:
    1562-Shaded Valley
    30185-Quiet Borough
    4201-Torn Landmass

Summarize what you know about the species.
    Kharmaani are the "main" group of The Ascent. They are the oldest group and are responsible for the majority of the creation and inclusion of the others. While relations between gynes are extremely hostile and they view virtually every other race with disdain, their ability to distance from each other, as well as their overwhelming weaponry, make them a formidable and feared part of the universe.

Physically, Kharmaani are somewhat similar in body shape to mantises, having three legs, two arms, and a long tail. Their skin is crystalline and brittle while their insides are translucent and gelatinous, as well as bioluminescent at will. Because of their fragile physiology, they are seen wearing powerful exosuits at almost all times when not on board their ship. They inhale methyl bromide and exhale methane.

Kharmaani are sexually dimorphic and eusocial, reproducing similarly to bees. Gynes, the equivalent of queens, rule over their territory and lead their subjects, the Alates. Alates, the equivalent of workers, are significantly smaller and less intelligent. To reproduce, Gynes will physically absorb an Alate into themselves, using the Alate's DNA to lay thousands of eggs. These eggs hatch into larvae, which then pupate underground and emerge as Alates, who are only a few feet long. They will mindlessly fight, kill, and eat each other before the population stabilizes and they are ready to work.

It is physically impossible for two Gynes to cooperate or even get along with each other, trying to kill each other even if they are from the same family. Alates from different families will fight each other for the slightest of reasons as well. To get around this, Kharmaani make use of Monarch Serpentid Queens, almost identical to Giant Armored Serpentids, to act as arbitrators between lineages. To help The Ascent function on an even higher level, Gynes created control minds—the equivalent of an AI to humans—to oversee areas like production and supply. They are not, however, positronic brains and are instead superclusters of intelligence built into the crust of the planet that they are housed in. Artificial intelligence is widely accepted and control minds are granted the same rights as Kharmaani and MSQs. All three groups make use of drones to help carry out their duties as well, though these drones tend to be remotely controlled and not autonomous. Autonomous drones that do exist are significantly less intelligent than human equivalents.

Contact with other species is very limited and hostile, as the Kharmaani view virtually everything else as inferior and not worth even looking at. The Skrell are the only exception, having been engaged in a terrible war a thousand years ago upon first contact; even then, communication with them is terse at best and there are still skirmishes between them. While other species certainly know of the Ascent, no formal contact has been established for these reasons.

Kharmaani have two languages, Ascent-Glow and Ascent-Voc. Ascent-Glow makes use of complex lighting patterns from a Kharmaani's skin, and MSQs frequently are modified to be able to use the language. Ascent-Voc was originally used by control minds when darkness was needed or for long-distance communications, but is now fluently spoken by all members and is the lingua franca. MSQs speak the same language as GAS as well, but Kharmaani are unable to replicate it.

Kharmaani weaponry is highly advanced compared to human weaponry, making primary use of particle-based weapons and, for Gynes, ballistic rifles (flechettes are popular). They have mastered and miniaturized fusion power sources and they use bluespace drives in a limited capacity as part of FTL slingshot maneuvers.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    YodaDoge likes this.
  2. Shameless bump.

3. Karbivio

Karbivio Ascent Species Maintainer

Lookin' pretty good. Kharmaani actually have three arms, not two; their third arm comes out of their chest and is used to control the functions of their support exosuit. It isn't represented mechanically in-game, though.

If you can make an example gyne, you're good to go.

4. 7 Great Void
    As an Alate, 7 Great Void was incredibly bloodthirsty, demonstrating advanced combat skills early on in his life. He came out as one of the top Alates of his spawn and was an efficient fighter for his Gyne. When he became a Gyne herself, she carried over this characteristic and in her rule, she focuses on militant and unwavering control over her territory, challenging and killing those who oppose her without mercy. Currently, she is patrolling one of the outskirts of her territory (where the Torch is). While directly attacking the Torch is beneath her (as it has technically done nothing wrong), she is not above harassing any explorers that try to claim her planets for the Sol Government.

5. Karbivio

Karbivio Ascent Species Maintainer

Good enough for me. Approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.