Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadowtail117 - Skrell

Discussion in 'Alien Species' started by Shadowtail117, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Shadowtail117

Shadowtail117 Petty Officer First Class

About You
    Third time's the charm, now hopefully better than ever!

What is your Byond key?
    Shadowtail117

What is your Discord username?
    Shadow#6743

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Around 3/4 of a year.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Ash Lizman
    Skashp/Khalek I'lesk

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Skrell

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    As is with many of the species on Bay, I'm fascinated by Skrell lore and history. Their caste systems and (lack of) gender dynamics are very different from baseline human society, and combined with their advanced-yet-stagnating technology as well as their far reaches in the universe, I would love to get to play as one.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Abbreviated names:
    Ulvix Krivxgl
    Xigli Uglixu
    Kisvri Glir'kex

Summarize what you know about the species.
    Skrell are one of the oldest races in the known universe and certainly were one of the first spacefaring ones, having taken to the stars even before the human common era. This has allowed them to solidify their status as a very far-reaching and powerful race within the universe. However, their technology has begun stagnating, struggling to make any significant breakthroughs, and the severe decentralization of their governments makes propagating any such advancements difficult. On top of this, their birth rates are continuously high, forcing them to keep expanding their territory; because of this, they are quickly becoming boxed in by the races around them. They are, thus, on track to be outpaced by other races (namely humanity) and lose their status as one of the most powerful races.

Despite their decentralization, however, Skrell are largely homogenous in their beliefs, and many of their city-states are run the same. On their fringe worlds, especially those that border humanity, they are more susceptible to adopting new ideologies and ways of life, however. Open conflict is rare for them, yet they still maintain a military in the form of SDTFs not only for conflict between each other but also against other races like Vox and the Ascent.

How humanity itself is viewed comes down to the city-state or even the individual in question; some Skrell enjoy their new neighbors while others are indifferent. Some are (rightfully) wary of their quickly-advancing research and the grip that human culture has taken on some parts of Skrellian society, such as the economy. Nonetheless, many city-states have been able to enjoy good relations with humanity, with trade being a significant common ground between them. Some, such as Krri-Gli, have taken it a step further and invested in human projects hoping for returns, and the Expeditionary Corps has welcomed Skrell into an exchange program to further boost relations.

Character concept:
    Name: Ulrimvixqixx Vilkexsiklo'six, shortened to Ul'vix Vil'sik
    Skin Color: Pale Blue

Vil'sik was born into the Malish-Katish on the fringe world of Qerr'xil, which borders humanity closer to the Sol front. He grew up fascinated by human culture and set his sights at a relatively early age to interact with them more. He became a Qerr-Mog and applied to his local SDTF as soon as he could, using it as a chance not only to build camaraderie with his fellow members and gain more medical expertise but also to have a shot at the exchange program that he had heard so much about. He serves as a Mero'ta-Ketish, and while he was unfortunately not picked for the exchange program the first time around, he took it as an opportunity to ready himself even more. The second time, he secured a position as a physician on board the SEV Torch where he now works. While he is painfully aware of the current faltering state of Skrell civilization, that has not dissuaded his interest in humans and he remains open to whatever he might experience working with them.

2. Shadowtail117

*bumps in a warbling manner*

3. Shadowtail117

*warble warble*

4. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Hey so while I won't make you redo your responses/app from last time I do need you to answer my very last bit still. That being:

"
    Can you edit your character concepts to flesh out your characters a little more. There's little to nothing to do with your character's actual backgrounds or personalities.
    Keloa-Ketish aren't really going to be concerned with the discovery of a new species. They're military R&D and focused on technology in the sense of its military applications. Doesn't quite line up at all with their job.

Lemme know when you've done this."

While you seem to have fleshed out your original one a little you haven't answered my original request still. Please provide two relatively fleshed out character concepts that demonstrate that there is more to the character than their employment/skills.

5. Shadowtail117

Here you go.

Name: Xiqu'kix I'xilvrim
    Skin Color: Dark grey

I'xilvrim was born a Raskinta-Ketish on a small world of Qerr'vik, bordering humanity. Unfortunately for him, his city was not one of the safest places to live, and he found himself having to defend himself frequently. Being a Raskinta, fighting came naturally to him, but these encounters also gave him knowledge of how to treat injuries. While not part of his duty, he remains a semi-competent first responder for minor wounds. Eventually, he was able to graduate and become a Qerr-Mog, shortly afterward applying to his city's reserve. His resolve strengthened by his upbringing, he was determined to help put an end to those who had wronged him previously. For several years he filled this position and was happy to; however, at 29, one of his close friends recommended that he apply to his SDTF to help combat crime on a larger scale. Because of his unorthodox medical expertise, he was gladly welcomed as a Me'kerr-Ketish, and his first assignment was patrolling a remote region of space onboard the scout ship Xilvuxix.

Name: Qrr'xik Vexir
    Skin Color: Yellow

Vexir was born a Kanin-Katish in the suburbs of a city in Qerr'quxum. As a young skrell he found himself hesitant to decide what he wanted to do in life. His family was atypically small, only having one sister, Xri'zim, so he had a very close relationship with her. She found interest in working as a paramedic, but he didn't follow suit; instead, after an enlightening tour at a local manufacturing plant, Qrr'xik decided on machining, specifically electrical components. While he only graduated a Qrri-Mog, he still proved himself to be a bright mind in his field and established a steady occupation. However, as he became older and more comfortable with life, he decided to become more open to human society and economy, believing it to be the way forward and something that can help him. He and his sister decided to seek a contracting opportunity for a human organization to help further their careers—this ended up being EXO. While he lacked formal education, Qrr'xik passed the examinations and landed a job as an engineer on board the SEV Torch. His sister passed as well but EXO placed her as an EMT on a different, low-profile vessel due to space constraints. Reluctantly, Qrr'xik parted ways with her, but he is determined to make her proud while he works onboard the Torch.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  6. Kozak411

Kozak411 Chef

Just would like to say - Shadow is an excellent player and his characters are memorable, reasonable and realistic. I'd like to think he'll do a wonderful job contributing to a round as any character he plays, no matter the species.

7. Eckles

Re your first concept: Skrell don't really struggle to make ends meet. The state doesn't really allow concepts such as homelessness, so even a poor warble isn't going to be at risk.

"From a relatively young age he made the connection that if he didn't have something to bring to the table he would not be long for this world, so he did his best to master martial arts and weaponry. He would later apply to his SDTF as a Me'kerr-Ketish, adaptable to use melee and ranged weaponry where fit. "

Ingame skill allotments are not particularly reflective of a warbles upbringing and general character development. This isn't really demonstrative of a characters life and sort of demonstrates a focus on "being good at fighting" which is absolutely normal for Raskinta, and isn't really a character trait.

Please redo this character concept putting more focus on the character and less on getting guns and fighting skills to go on a specific overmap map.

"His family unit was on the smaller side of the spectrum for his caste, so he had a bit more money to dedicate to picking a career. "

This shows a fundamentally massive misunderstanding of the warble approach to education. Education is not paid for. Education is free. Skrell highly value each individual being educated and capable and city states do not consider their investment in this a cost as the end value far outweighs any time, energy, equipment or effort spent getting them to a good standard.

"Vexir was born a Kanin-Katish on the rural outskirts of a city in Qerr'quxum." Rural for warbles are mostly highly planned farming zones rather than "in the sticks" tier of living like humanity. Skrell housing is highly efficient by necessity, and most skrell live in large arcologies. It is not likely for a Skrell to be living rurally.

"However as he became older and more comfortable with life, he decided to become more open to human society and economy, believing it to be the way forward and something that can help him. He and his sister, whom up to this point had kept in close contact their whole lives, decided to enlist in Qala'oa, hoping that being part of the largest SDTF to border humanity would open doors in their lives."

Not really sure how joining an SDTF accomplishes this, as they don't really seem to follow on at all. Also, as stated, getting into an SDTF is highly competitive. A middling machinist with no experience in their own city states reserve force would not likely be a candidate, especially given their lack of dedication and training. SDTF's aren't really begging for recruits by nature and selection is difficult. Kanin do not get a free pass.

Overall I'm not too happy with your character concepts. The first one seems to just be about having guns and fighting skills and the second one shows some fundamental misunderstandings of Warble society.

Try again.

8. Shadowtail117

Thanks for the feedback/pointers. I've updated the concepts above for re-review.

9. Eckles

"he found himself having to defend himself frequently" - frequently from what?

"Being a Raskinta, fighting came naturally to him, but these encounters also gave him knowledge of how to treat injuries. While not part of his duty, he remains a semi-competent first responder for minor wounds." basic first aid isn't really a major character point. Everyone who engages in combat generally knows how to do individual first aid.

Being able to do individual basic first aid does not typically make you first responder tier.

". His resolve strengthened by his upbringing, he was determined to help put an end to those who had wronged him previously" - Leading on from nothing, please clarify. What exactly is he doing?

"Because of his unorthodox medical expertise, " Individual first aid is not unorthodox medical expertise. Furthermore on a second read you seem to be trying to say he's some sort of Raskinta street doc kind of thing? Your character backstory doesn't really explain much and seems to skip over a lot.

Second one:

" something that can help him." - Help him how?

and his sister decided to seek a contracting opportunity for a human organization to help further their careers—this ended up being EXO. While he lacked formal education, Qrr'xik passed the examinations and landed a job as an engineer on board the SEV Torch.

-How is a Skrell with no experience with humanity simply going off and applying for some random human company with no experience knowledge, language skills or other things demonstrating any sort of past experience that would fit this. It's very all over the place in terms of development.

- How is a plant machinist with no qualifications getting a job as a space vessel engineer? These disciplines are not related to the point he can simply cross-train, specially given it is, for him, alien technology.

In all in some cases these stories show a fundamentally flawed character development without consideration for why they're doing things or skip of substantial points explaining why they're doing things. In other cases, you're showing a lack of understanding about warble culture or the state of things.

Have another go, this time, don't hesitate to ask questions about things you don't understand, or things you want clarification on as far as Skrell are concerned.

Let me know if you have any questions.

10. Shadowtail117

Okay! I dug deep in this one and tried to flesh it out as best I can without leaving any significant gaps. The concepts are almost entirely redone so I'll repost them here instead. Let me know anything I still need to revise.

Name: Xiqu'kix I'xilvrim
    Skin Color: Dark grey

I'xilvrim was born a Raskinta-Ketish on a small world of Qerr'vik, bordering humanity. Unfortunately, Qerr’vik was not a very safe place and he frequently had to defend himself from thugs and other criminals trying to take advantage of him throughout his childhood. Of course, fighting was in his blood, and this only gave him a headstart on when he would gain proper combat training, however, this rough upbringing also led him to become very wary of others. Trust was a difficult thing for him up until when he was 19 when he came to the aid of a Kanin-Katish the same age as him being assaulted. This other skrell, Qu’xikal Xritelxix, became one of his closest friends in the following years and gave I’xilvrim a resolve, something he could do to make a difference in other skrells' lives. He kept in education until becoming a Qerr-Mog, specializing in martial arts, and almost the day of graduating he applied to his city-state’s reserves, firmly believing that fighting criminals was the best way he could make use of his skills. For several years he served and was happy to do it until one of his colleagues casually recommended that he join his SDTF.

It was here that I’xilvrim experienced an epiphany: as part of his SDTF, he could expand his skills to not just his own city-state but to many. His dutiful service in the reserves helped secure him a role in his SDTF as a Me’kerr-Ketish. All seemed well until, as he prepared to serve on his first assignment on the scouting ship Xilvuxix, he bumped into Xritelxix who was assigned to do maintenance on the vessel prior to departure. He had enlisted as well, and I’xilvrim saw this as a sign that what he was doing was right. They spent the few days before departure catching up, and I’xilvrim was lucky enough to pick up on some basic engineering concepts from his friend. But more importantly, he became much more trusting of others thanks to his help. Xilvuxix being his first assignment, I’xilvrim is determined to prove himself a competent member of his SDTF and someone who can make a difference for his home.

Name: Qrr'xik Vexir
    Skin Color: Yellow

Vexir was born a Kanin-Katish in the suburbs of a city in Qerr'quxum. As a young skrell he found himself hesitant to decide what he wanted to do in life. His family was atypically small, only having one sister, Xri'zim, so he had a very close relationship with her. She found interest in working as a paramedic, but he didn't follow suit; instead, after an enlightening tour at a local manufacturing plant, Qrr'xik decided on machining, specifically electrical components. While he only graduated a Qrri-Mog, he still proved himself to be a bright mind in his field and established a steady occupation. However, as he became older and more comfortable with life, he decided to become more open to human society and economy, believing it to be the way forward and something that can make him a more distinguished skrell, perhaps even renowned. He spent a while job hunting, searching for positions on human planets before eventually finding an entry-level electrical apprenticeship. He’d previously seen a few human customs on Qerr’quxum but he still experienced huge culture shock, especially trying to adapt to using ZAC. Even today he dislikes having to use it and when flustered or agitated is prone to lapses in speaking.

While not exactly what he did on Qerr’quxum, his previous knowledge with electricity helped him become certified quickly and he was a fully-fledged electrician for a few years. Doing his best to keep his speech flaws under control, he found himself in a senior position in the company he worked for, eventually, and he enjoyed having reached success in a human environment. After a while, one of his peers told him about EXO and he saw it as the next step in his journey. After some negotiations and some holistic demonstration, he secured a contract with them and brought his electrical skills to the SEV Torch, where he now serves as an electrician. Being so far from home, or any civilization, takes its toll on him, though, but he never forgets the reason he has come so far. He vows to make not only his sister but all of skrellkind proud of him.