Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SilvernKell - Gas application

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Kell, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kell

Kell Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Silvernkell

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Just under a year by now, I think.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Ruger
    Cloud-424
    Kiel Kosu Zaavor
    Silvern Kell

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    G.A.S.

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I love them visually. I adore aliens and also insectoids and GAS are both. It gives a good opportunity to play something alien with a different vocal convention, too.
    I have always wanted to play one but because my other character was placed in medical before I didn't have much of a fulfilling job in mind for them.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Bob
    John
    Toby
    Jemima
    Adam
    Sarah

Summarize what you know about the species.

Biologically
    Gas are insectoid in nature, that means instead of a circulated blood system, their body is sustained by Hemolymph. Additionally, due to the environment they grew accustomed to, they developed a unique strategy to maintain appropriate oxygenation in environments without enough oxygenation, due to their planet oxygenation dropping in the past and causing the less hardy subspecies to be unable to survive there.
    Phoron, absorbed from air and from their diet, is mixed with chemicals from their Acetone Synthesizer organ, which creates dexalin. Dexalin is very important to the GAS, as it is how they breathe, and medics should be very careful not to interfere with their dexalin supply when medicating them.
    Additionally, due to this process, a GAS has a phoron storage within them, which results in their deathly fear of fire and open flames, affecting the way they act when faced with such hazards.

A GAS has two sets of arms. It has a large set of "nabbers" and a set of appendages which can be used for more delicate manipulation.
    In order to switch between them, the GAS has a complicated system which relies on the transferrance of hemolymph and fluids between in each set.
    Thusly, a GAS cannot make use of it's nabbing arms if it's "hands" are in use, without first pausing to switch between them, and also loses their grip on anything carried within the arms that are not in use, tucking the arms away.
    A GAS has 3 tarsus on each "hand", their "fingers" are unlike humans and more akin to segmented appendages that can move in variable directions. They move more akin to segmented "tentacles" (Like a centipede's body) then a human's fingers, allowing them to wrap around tools in a similar vein.

GAS have compound eyes, and excellent vision, which comes at the price of sensitivity. Due to this, they have opaque lenses which can be used to cover their sensitive eyes and protect them from bright lights. A flash has the ability to damage their eyes permanently. GAS do not blink, and must groom themselves to clean the casing around their eye area.

GAS are primarily hunters on their home planet, consuming primarily meat but may also eat certain vegetables, which they are capable of growing themselves.
    Grains, starchy foods (potato) fruit and cooked goods are no good for a GAS. They will primarily subsist on meat or other none-starchy and leafy vegetables (such as their apparent favourite, cabbages).

Vocally
    GAS cannot talk in human vocal ranges directly, and have a cybernetic vocaliser implant for this. GAS primary language in itself is both physical and vocal, and in fact can be fully understood by another GAS even without the vocal element. Alternatively they can understand the vocal component alone, but it is not as complex as the physical element and can lead to small mistakes.
    A GAS can talk in ZAC if they are fluent in the language, but require the synthesizer organ to do so, as they lack the mouth parts to make the correct noises. Thus, the device is not a "translator", but simply allows them to make the right sounds they wish to make.
    GAS are not good at producing salient sentences, they will often use long run on sentences to describe things, without seperating them with pauses or commas. Their points may be a little jumbled in order.
    "I wanted to go to the tool storage because I needed a tool but there is no screwdriver and I felt a bit hot and did not like the noise that a Borg was making so I left without getting my tools and now I need to find one so I can finish my task."

Cultural behaviour and the social/temperament Grading system
    GAS are unlike mammals in that they do not have a preference for close physical contact. Indeed, their only close contact is usually with prey, as such they don't tend to enjoy organisms inside their personal space. A GAS will generally stay out of striking range of another GAS, however-
    How a GAS on the Torch deals with this is dependent mainly upon it's "grading".
    GAS live in large colonies naturally, of 30-200 members in size, and are socially complex. They value life, especially the concept of "Mindfullness".
    Something that is Mindfull is treated as something that is valuable, this basically means they value sentient life and take great pains to avoid damaging that, however creatures that are not considered Mindfull are held at a lower value. This includes their very young, nymphs, which are not yet considered mindfull. They will actively kill or cull nymphs that are being annoying, in the same manner one would to vermin or pests. This does not mean they kill animals randomly, but simply that they treat them in a similar manner to humans. Annoying, none-sentient animals are pests, others can be food (or by extension, pets, though I do not believe GAS have interest in pets, indeed, their nymphs are practically this, or have farming animals, they do understand the idea that humans have animals as pets and would not simply murder them for the sake of it or for eating when other sources of food are available.). Nor would most GAS actively cause undue harm to animals they devour, and would not make them suffer more then required to kill them quickly.

When a GAS reaches the fledgeling age, they are considered Mindfull, and are not treated as mere animals any longer.
    Fledgelings actually have an important role in a colony, in that they have a drive to perform impressive tasks. They learn actively from the adult GAS, and because of their drive to create displays and learn tasks that others cannot mimic easily, they are responsible for 90% of a colonies new skills over time.

A (+) grading means the GAS is very accustomed to human society, understanding that their closeness may not be intended as a threat.
    They are more likely to escape "scary" situations or people, will always communicate discomfort or a need for help in a vocal manner, can tolerate humans in close proximity and will only defer to a threat display or aggression very rarely and when pushed, without avenue of escape or ability to receive help from other humans.
    A (-) grading means the GAS is less accustomed to human society, and will likely go straight to a threat display without first vocalising an issue. They are more likely to show threats or physical response to overcrowding or unwanted situations. They will, however, still attempt to scare said humans out of their range with false strikes or threatening to get across the point. Any human that does not understand or react appropriately beware, if a human does not get the point, after threat displays they may be met by harsher behaviours, however-
    If a GAS is too aggressive - Instigating attacks upon humans that are not too close, or failing to produce threats in pre-emption of harm to humans that are too close, moves, pushes or picks up humans without due cause, inclination or warning, they receive a FAIL grading and will not be seen on the Torch. These behaviours fall out of the range of a negative rating GAS and they will not be considered trained.

Neutral grading will fall between the + and - Grades, and results in a fairly well-mannered GAS, but will still sometimes produce threat displays instead of vocalisation of overcrowding (But is generally less threatened by it). They may be slightly skittish around humans, and still dislike them standing too close, but can manage to vocalise so.

Learning
    GAS learn by being taught in special facilities, repetition, and from other GAS.
    A GAS cannot learn how to do something simply by: Being told what to do, observing humans, or without repetition.
    A GAS does not necessarily understand the rules behind what they are doing, they only know that to do something, they have to perform these specific actions.
    A GAS can learn from another GAS, but they are unlikely to remember it for a long time unless it is drilled into them with repetition, and they will likely only be learning the specific motions for performing the task. When learning from another GAS they can copy it perfectly.
    They can learn from humans only by having the human move their hands to perform the correct motions and memorising these motions, it will be a difficult task to teach a GAS a new skill. They will remember the movements but they will probably not remember it for it long without a lot of repetition.

If you ask a GAS to do something they do not already know how to do, they will be unable to perform the task for you. Even if you describe the task and explain it. Asking for a specific part of a task they already know how to do, but applied differently, will not help too much either.
    A GAS cannot "think" it knows how to do something by understanding the laws behind what it is doing and improvising, it either knows the movements beforehand or does not. If a GAS doesn't know how to do something, it will be unable to perform the task, as they are not capable of the creative thought processes humans have in order to experiment until it gets it correct. They will either refuse to do the task because they cannot, or will ask somebody else to do the task in order to complete it.
    It is encouraged to say exactly what you need when speaking to a GAS. For example, if you are asking a chemist for a chemical and they have not already made it in their training for filling the fridge for the shift, you will probably end up with a bottle of it instead of a pill if you do not ask for the chemical and for it to be in pills of 15 units for example.

Socially, however, a GAS can learn and understand emotions and situations very adequately, as these are covered in different ways in the brain structure. GAS are entirely capable of understanding a human can do a task it cannot and asking for it to be done, they just wouldn't be able to do it themself. They are capable of getting something done for somebody else by going and asking for it and delivering it back to the person, or reporting that the task has been completed by another because they do not know how to do it personally.

GAS's job aptitude is organised in A, B and C grading, basically describing the "tier" of job they were trained to do and capable of.
    A grading represents high tier jobs, which are complex and must be performed correctly.
    (Medical, chemist, robotics, maintenance tech.)
    B represents middle tier jobs, such as cooking or cargo or bartending. They involve complex tasks with little risks involved in failure or issue, or simply less tasks to memorize overall.
    (Chef, Cargo)
    C represents none-complex jobs like sanitation.

What is your character concept for your trial period?
    Assigned name : Felix
    Grading : A+
    Training : Paramedic

Colouration : Dark, blue-ish plating, reddish eyes. ((I cannot see much documentation on colours and don't know a lot about it. As far as I know, they basically just have to be a dark shade. I don't think the blues are supposed to be rare, but if so green would be a better choice.))
    Size: Between 15 and 16 foot long (a little bit smaller then average)

Felix is a fairly quiet but curious GAS, and as befitting his + rating, is quite comfortable around humans. Felix does not see them as particularly threatening, and has never really experienced any of them attempting to be so, so would likely be quite slow to do any kind of threat display or even get uncomfortable until it would be too late, at which point he would attempt to flee in shock.
    Felix would likely hide somewhere if faced with such a situation, probably waiting a while until he would then ask for help.
    If faced with someone being obviously aggressive, he would tell them so, making an irritated and anxious noise with his mandibles.
    "I would like you to stay away from me because I think that you are being aggressive and I would not like to be aggressive and if you do not stop I will have to call someone because of it and I would just like it more if you would stop because it is making me uncomfortable."
    He is somewhat sociable and will happily engage with people asking him questions, if he understands them. He may start conversations himself but rarely, if he was curious about a human.
    "You seem to be an unusual human and you have some nice armor and what is your job?"
    "I would like to have a cabbage and would you like a cabbage but humans do not like cabbages much so would you like me to bring some food from the food hall?"
    Felix enjoys keeping himself and environment clean, and often can be seen sitting in a corner running his arms over his head, grooming, and chittering little noises to himself. He dislikes the thought of other creatures suffering, even those not mindfull and might actually be very angry if he found Pun-pun in maintenance being hassled by a bald individual in an orange jumpsuit, and may even consider being rude enough to do a threat display to scare them off. He would also complain about it afterwards.
    "Why are you hurting this animal and he is not for eating but you are not eating him anyway!"

2. Eonoc

Eonoc Vox Species Maintainer Deputy Serpentid Maintainer

An extremely indepth application, and overall quite excellent.
    However, you cannot play a paramedic GAS as your first character, as it requires a secondary trial beyond the first.
    As a result, you'll have to change your character concept, but since your application checks literally every possible box, that's all you'll need to do.

3. Kell

Kell Bartender

I see! Thanks for the explanation and quick response, I would like to use that concept for it at a later date, hopefully.
    With that in mind, I would like to amend my concept to-
    Assigned name : Felix
    Grading : C (Neutral)
    Training : Sanitation
    Colouration : Dark Jungle green plating, lighter green eyes
    Size: Between 15 and 16 foot long (a little bit smaller then average)

This grading would represent a slightly more skittish GAS, still curious but more likely to keep a distance from people and comfortable with talking but not with close physical presence.
    He would not strike out to threaten those in his space, but would move away with the chance to do so, instead of being complacent about those nearby.
    Felix is willing to engage with people, but might do so slowly, carefully moving closer to an acceptable talking radius with head lowered before speaking to humans, watching carefully to move away from any sudden moves.
    Felix is likely to perform a threat display before calling for aid from other humans, and would not attempt to protect animals that aren't considered mindfull, as doing so would be too scary for him, with little benefit and not as much understanding of how to manipulate social situations.
    He would rather just escape any chance of confrontation, unless it was to protect himself.

4. Eonoc

Eonoc Vox Species Maintainer Deputy Serpentid Maintainer

Approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.