Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted Staff Complaint - Herbs

Discussion in 'Archived Staff Complaints' started by CubecsMelody, May 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CubecsMelody

CubecsMelody Petty Officer First Class

Key/Name Of Staff: herbs#1075

Your Key/Name:: LifeMelody#1546
    Im using Discord handles here since i believe they are more relevant to the situation then ckey's

Date and Time of Incident(s):: 0530 Hours UTC on the 22nd of May

Reason For Complaint:: Poor Handeling of a Discord ban.

Evidence of Complaint::
    Yesterday, during my sleep i recieved a ban from discord.
    At the time, I was not aware who banned me, why i was banned, for how long i was banned or if it was even a ban at all.
    After i atleast knew i was banned, still not knowing why, for how long or by who, i went ahead and made a forum ban appeal. [Found here]
    Spookerton graciously responded and informed me that it was only a 24h ban, wich cant be appealed, and the reason for why i was banned.
    upload_2021-5-23_19-11-15.png
    This ban was applied hours before i would even have the conscious thought about leaving my bed.
    I wasnt given ample time to respond, as i was asleep. The wording of this suggests that i was given this ban because i wouldnt respond to the admin in the brig. I wasnt given time to acknowledge what i would be banned for, what specifically got me banned or even explain myself. it seemed very much like i was just shadow banned out of no-where.

Rodmuth managed to get me into contact with the banning admin and After jumping through hoops, i was finally able to speak with the admin in question and get a straight answear as to what got me banned.

Now to give credit where its due, Herbs apologiesed as they thought discord would show the ban reason to me, wich it doesnt. Wich i would've thought staff would know. They allso clarified that i wasnt banned for not responding but rather for the comment itself.

The sexual inappropiate comment i made, that got me banned was this.
    upload_2021-5-23_19-14-51.png
    Herbs argued that this got me banned because, and i quote, instead of showing DMs because im not sure if its appropiate in this situation or not.
    "I gave you twenty four hour to help the lesson stick this time. In this case caused a dogpile of users jumping on the joke, which is just not appropriate at all for baygen"
    "Keep that stuff in DMs, it's not cool and we don't want people thinking that's okay to say to other players."

This joke that everybody jumped on was the out of context screenshot, of one of my characters refrencing runtime. upload_2021-5-23_19-17-45.png
    This became a joke, a shitpost, a meme in baygen. People went with it and joked about it, this was hardly because of my fault, im not in control of what other people repost and joke about.

People thought this was okay, i thought this was okay. Because people say stuff in similiar manner to that arguably pretty often, its understandable that not all the time there is a staff member present, but in this case there was.
    upload_2021-5-23_19-19-50.png
    While people, including me, where having the "suprise p/bussy" banter, Tomdroid was in the chat.

Nobody was told to slow down or to stop.
    I was retroactively singled out by Herbs and banned.

I apologiese if there is some context im missing and i understand that people make mistakes. i do not mean this complaint as an insult.

2. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Okay. So.

"This ban was applied hours before i would even have the conscious thought about leaving my bed.
    I wasnt given ample time to respond, as i was asleep. The wording of this suggests that i was given this ban because i wouldnt respond to the admin in the brig. I wasnt given time to acknowledge what i would be banned for, what specifically got me banned or even explain myself. it seemed very much like i was just shadow banned out of no-where.- "

While not incorrect that you were asleep and I would agree that it is quite impossible for you to respond when asleep it's an unfortunate case of timezones and the internet. Admins aren't required to wait for someone to wake up before taking action, and in this context can simply mean they waited for a reasonable amount of their own awake time before deciding to proceed without waiting for the other parties input. Which is fine, we do that often because hey, oftentimes waiting 24 hours just to do it then is not feasible.

This was discussed internally earlier on. I'll be marking it as a valid complaint in this instance as the ban was a spot much for the specific context, though there is no punishment or anything of the sort and a discussion has already been had regarding the meting out of discord bans and general moderation of the flow of discord conversations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.