Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] Unprivate Complaints II

Discussion in 'Policy Discussion' started by ParadoxSpace, Nov 26, 2017.

?

Banditoz

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. I Have No Strong Feelings

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. ParadoxSpace

ParadoxSpace Mr. Roboto Game Moderator IPC Species Maintainer

Footman likes this.
  2. LorenLuke

LorenLuke Commanding Officer

In current absence of a poll, my two cents:

The policy was given for players potentially a) fearing reprisal, b) players being unsure of if something warranted complaint...

To the former issue- staff seems less consolidated than ever, and with the ginormous turnover this term, it feels less like the case of the council in the Ivory tower as previous.
    To the latter issue- if it's worth an ahelp and you have evidence of it, it's worth a complaint. It's the admin's job to sort out things in both cases.

In any case, I support them becoming public.

5crownik007 likes this.
  3. Chaoko99

Chaoko99 Research Director

I remember recently after a particularly... Messy... Round of merc, I was a bit mortified over the potential of a report on me, for I may not know about it.

'But Chaoko, you'll be linked your complaint!'

Uh... Not true. In the past, staff have failed to notify me of these these complaints. When they finally did notify me of my ongoing complaint: I was not available to answer questions, and got tempbanned for a day over it.

Don't design systems based on competence. They don't fucking work.

Curt5, Dukica, Sergeant Adam and 7 others like this.
  4. Foolamancer

Foolamancer Senior Enlisted Advisor

Still no reason to have these private.

Lonefly and Banditoz like this.
  5. ParadoxSpace

ParadoxSpace Mr. Roboto Game Moderator IPC Species Maintainer

At behest of Banditoz, who believes numbers matter, I've added a poll.

6. SierraKomodo

SierraKomodo Command Keyword Detected

Regarding the latter issue, I can't speak for other staff, but I personally honestly prefer people ahelping/filing a complaint for something they're not sure about than letting it go.

Bit more on topic: I'm in full support of unprivating complaints, with the clause brought up in the other thread: Only the person filing the complaint and admins should post in the thread. Everyone else can read it, and if they have relevant information to provide, then either A: They're allowed to post that in the thread, and people that decide to be peanut gallery, bandwagon, or post irrelevant things get their posts deleted and a strike by the community mods, or they PM their relevant information to the admin(s) handling the complaint.

7. The Great Skeeve

The Great Skeeve Sol Gov Pilot

If this were to go through, would all previous complaints be unprivated? Current ones?

8. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Game Administrator Developer Serpentid Species Maintainer Deputy IPC Maintainer Deputy Diona Maintainer Wiki Maintainer

I have no strong feelings one way or the other. I can see the arguments for both sides.

9. SalTum

SalTum Senior Enlisted Advisor

It'd likely be better if it was clean slate.

10. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

Complaints were made with the understanding of anonymity. To publish them all would violate the terms of the agreement so to speak.

However I'm abstaining on this poll as it was a policy I proposed as staff and have since retired. If current staff want to keep or remove the policy wholesale that is their prerogative.

11. Lonefly

Lonefly Donator

I want this fully removed and for complaints to go back to what they should be, which is public. It worked for years and will work a hell of a lot better now than this crap we currently have.

Curt5 and Emmanuel Bassil like this.
  12. RenScorch

RenScorch Donator

There is no terms of agreement, by making a complaint about someone on the forums, the "agreement" is that the party that being complained about is to be included into the thread so that they can defend themselves. Thus there is nothing stopping either party from talking about the complaint.

If either party is excluded from the thread in attempt to hold up anonymity means that the party is unable to state an or respond to a case that includes them. This is fundamentally flawed at all levels, an creates a system of people avoiding any kind of risk due to a fear of them being reported, an banned, with the total lack of any ability to defend themselves, this can create a whole list of problems, including, but not limited to. People no longer playing, but simply observing, baseless accusation, an a further toxic environment.

Remember, it not just the powers at be that help uphold society, but society itself that upholds it. If publicity is what stopping you from making a report, then maybe the report that you are making is in-itself, not noteworthy enough to even make.

13. Curt5

Curt5 Senior Enlisted Advisor

There is no reason for complaints to be hidden. I, personally, read through complaints as a young spaceman newbie to learn what to and what not to do. So there's another argument in favor of their public-ness- they're helpful.

14. ТhatOneGuy

ТhatOneGuy Unathi Species Maintainer

I'll be running an idea through to everyone tonight CST or early tomorrow, depending on how much other stuff I get done with first tonight.

Sergeant Adam, Meyar and Kelenius like this.
  15. Banditoz

Banditoz Sol Gov Pilot

@ThatOneGuy Poll seems very conclusive. What are you planning?

16. ТhatOneGuy

ТhatOneGuy Unathi Species Maintainer

Give me a little and I'll post a thread ty

Banditoz likes this.