Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superhats — Adherent

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Superhats, May 3, 2019.

1. Superhats

Superhats Bartender

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Superhats

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    I played semi-regularly a few years ago, though I have only recently gotten back into the server, clocking at currently two weeks. Though, I have more than 800 hours into SS13.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Roimata Kahurangi, CMO
    Caduceus, Medical IPC
    Sudo, Lawed Synthetic

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Adherent

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    Adherent are a species I see extremely rarely, and their design is extremely appealing to me. The moment I found out about them looking at the wiki, I've been interested in knowing more about them.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    Robot Maintainer 42-B
    Engine Monitor H-56
    Chemical Preparator 11-BC

Summarize what you know about the species.

Adherents are a species of crystalline machines, created to be the servants of a long-extinct "Creators", before their home system was wiped by a solar flare known as The Scream, leaving Adherent confused, disoriented, and alone.

Being artificial beings, they have near to no culture of their own, with the only remnant of their creators being the strict set of laws each adherent is forced to follow, known as the protocol. Now led by Core System Traffic Control Hub 37-Q, they explore the area surrounding their homeworld, Canon, a zone known as the Holding Pattern, in hopes of finding traces of their lost creators.

The adherent are divided into three factions, each with their own interpretation of the Protocol.

Loyalists are fully devoted to the memory of their creators, dedicating themselves to their duties and embracing their lives as servants. They disapprove of those choosing to carve their own paths, considering it to be 'disrespectful' towards their creators.
    Loyalists are by far the most powerful faction, led by Traffic Control Hub itself

Preservers prefer to leave the worlds they explore untouched, and pristine, recording and indexing them for their creators, or whoever would take their place. They are the most passive faction, and the most likely to be found with other spacefaring races like humanity. Mourners are an extreme version of the Preserver faction, who dedicate themselves to recounting the tragedy of the planet they orbit, requesting visitors not to disturb it.

Separatists aim for the abandonment of Canon, and wish to establish a new order, prioritizing their needs as survivors over the hopeless search for their masters. However, the protocol forbids excessive violence, and they do this somewhat covertly.

However, Adherents are generally polite beings, devoted to their duties, and finding satisfaction in fulfilling their purpose. However, the protocol is far from exhaustive, and Adherents tend to lock up completely when placed in unfamiliar, or conflicting situations, as they attempt to fit it into the protocol.

2. Gentlefood

Gentlefood Adherent Species Maintainer

Go ahead and give me a character concept and include what faction they would be a part of and why.

3. Superhats

Superhats Bartender

Service Assistant V-11 was tasked with maintaining one of the many exploration vessels of the creators, taking care of cleaning duties, and keeping the crew entertained by mixing diverse beverages. After the scream, however, they were left.. confused, most, if not all of their memories wiped my the solar flare. With Canon unreachable, and the Protocol as the only remnant of their creators, while most Adherents were only focusing on seeking the Creators within the holding pattern, V-11 was looking further.

As a Separatist, they focused on seeking other intelligent life-forms, instead of creators they had nearly no traces of, with only one thought in mind: Finding more about the universe, beyond Traffic Control Hub and the Holding Pattern.
    Being an exploration vessel, the Torch was the perfect opportunity to reach their goals, and they found a place in the crew, now serving drinks in the ship's bar, using this position to hear everything they could about the world they were left in, in hopes that someone, somewhere, knew more about the Creators than they did.

4. Superhats

Superhats Bartender

Bumping

5. Superhats

Superhats Bartender

Bumping again

6. Gentlefood

Typically Separatists do not actually wish to separate from the Vigil. They want the Vigil to separate from their obsession with the creators and move forward as a species and establish their own society. The reason these thoughts are so anathema is because of their servitor origins.

I'm not saying you cannot play a separatist that wishes to leave the Vigil for parts unknown, but if you do I'll need to know your reasoning for it. Also the last bit about a Separatist seeking out its creator(s) amongst the stars is also a bit odd.

This character might fit better as a radical Loyalist who is much more obsessed with their creators than most adherents are.

And finally, apologies for the delayed response work has kept me busy.

7. Superhats

Superhats Bartender

Ah, I see. I'll assume you want another concept, in that case.

Flight Controller C-747 is a loyalist in charge of piloting one of the many vessels of the creators, along with ensuring the safety of on-board crew by performing basic repairs. After the scream, with their creators gone, and a substantial amount of Adherent being rendered completely inoperational, they found themselves unable to accomplish their purpose, and turned towards the Torch, where, even if it may be to serve a different goal, they can continue doing what they do best: piloting ships, no matter the destination.[/hr]

8. Gentlefood

Alright. Approved.