Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Tennessee116 - Developer Application

Discussion in 'Developers - Archive' started by Tennessee116, May 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tennessee116

Tennessee116 Petty Officer First Class

BYOND Key: Tennessee116
    IRC username: t116
    Github profile URL: https://github.com/Tennessee116
    Featured PRs: A lot of my PRs (almost all of these featured oens) are mapping. I do want to note that I know how to code and sprite.
    Why do you want to become a developer?:

Alright, I'd like to start with a very blunt truth about me.

I do not have some esoteric coding knowledge and understand DM inside out. I can code in DM relatively well and review PRs to a decent extent. I can maintain maps, sprites, whatever might be needed. However I do not hold the same arcane knowledge that can be found in others who I consider much better at this job.

I want to become a developer for one primary reason: various people, notably @Cupa, have suggested that I apply. I want to believe that if other members of the community think I should try and take this responsibility, it's worth looking into.

There are various reasons I believe I could make an adequate member of the development staff.
    • I have been and will continue to be consistently active on the GitHub, IRC, server, and here. I'd like to note that I said "will continue to be". I say this in the context that I am not going anywhere, there is no observable reason I am going to just disappear of the surface of the Earth and abandon the role.
    • There is an unreasonably large load on our three currently active members of the development staff when it comes to managing the codebase and getting PRs through the gauntlet. I believe that I can take some of this load to lessen the stress put upon the current roster.
    Do you have any experience in open source projects?: Yes, mostly SS13.

jaydno likes this.
  2. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kōhai №1 Head Developer Head Administrator Game Administrator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

I appreciate that you've taken the time to make this application but I don't believe you've demonstrated an interest in technical review and repository health *by doing*, which is the primary active role of developers and a key measure by which the role is offered. Personally I also believe that developer is not an intermediate learning role - 'esoteric' knowledge of DM in general and the repository in particular is functionally a prerequisite to consideration.

With that in mind, I feel I have to decline this. Not in a final sense, but as-is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.