Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Tennessee116 - Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Game Moderators - Archive' started by Tennessee116, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. About You
    I am a former /tg/ player, and BS12 regular over the weekends.
    What is your Byond key?
    Tennessee116
    What is your IRC or Discord handle?
    Tennessee - Discord
    In UTC, what time range(s) do you usually play in?
    2:00 PM - 10:00 AM over the weekends.
    What are the names of your most played characters?
    Tennessee Watson
    Thomas Walter
    Timostky Wellskov (Retired)
    How long have you been playing Space Station 13?
    Since around September of 2019, so for about 5 months.
    How long have you been playing on Baystation? How much are you involved with our off-server community?
    I joined Baystation in October of 2019, so for about 4 months. I am a regular on Discord, and usually find time for it everyday.
    Have you been a moderator or admin on other Space Station 13 servers?
    No.
    Have you been in a moderation role for a forum or on chat channels before?
    Yes. I was a staff member on a Minecraft server, which extended to its Discord and forums.
    Tell us about you. What will make you a good moderator?
    As much as I can say I'll make a good moderator, on an honest note, I can't truly stand behind anything I say here.

I'd consider myself a good mediator and relatively good interpreter of rules. I can sit for long periods of time and watch stuff and not get bored. I usually have a cool temper when it comes to people who aren't exactly knowledgeable, or just flat-out annoying. I have a relatively thorough understanding of Exploration and Research, and some experience in all other roles. Antagonist-wise, I can see a relatively clear distinction between murderboning and good antagging, but I am not perfect at telling the difference.

However, I am no Mary Sue of SS13. I lack experience in the engineering and service department and my understanding stretches as far as I've read. I can occasionally be a little dense, and I am not perfect. My record isn't spotless, and I've made plenty of mistakes. At this point I'm grateful I haven't had to appeal for a game ban. I definitely can be picky with wording, and things might sound weird to others.

When I was staff on the Minecraft server, most of the other staff considered me slightly too lenient. But then again it was a Minecraft server, and I didn't feel like breaking any kid's heart nor listen to them screech.

Honestly, regardless of how cringe-worthy this may sound, the only thing keeping me motivated to get through my weekly life is knowing that at the end I can just sit down and enjoy some time with y'all. So, I just feel that a little bit of help keeping the server nice and tidy would be a good way to pay for all the fun and laughs you've gave me.

To the best of your knowledge and understanding, how you would interpret and handle the following scenarios?

Cornydinner9/(Blake Ashdown)) continually responds in LOOC in regards to the actions of 3wolfmoon/(Alek Mendoza) on their character rather than reacting to them normally. When you use OOC => Who, it shows that Cornydinner9 joined the server for the first time two days ago.

I'd first greet them, and tell them that they are not in trouble, as new players, like when I first joined, thought that at any second god almighty will come and smite them from the server. I'd tell them the purpose of LOOC, and inform him that he'd need to react in-character using the say verb. I'd ask him if he had read the rules and the roleplay guide, and add their links regardless. I'd make a note stating that he was using LOOC as say, but also that he was new and may need some extra help/slack.

gleaming3, an observer, has started a ticket in which they claim that StaleMichel50/(Pete Wethers) is "killing without RP", and they have not provided much information. When you use Admin => Check Antagonists, StaleMichel50 is listed as a traitor.

I would ask gleaming3 to provide more information regarding who he killed, and the situations gleaming saw. Afterwards I'd ask all of the victims about how they died and whether or not they felt the killing was reasonable. From there, I'd check the chat and see whether or not gleaming is telling the truth. Before asking any questions, I'd check when StaleMichel joined the server. From there, I would take two routes

If he joined the server recently, I'd first greet him, if nobody else has, and ask him about his killing. Then I'd ask him if he had fully read the rules, roleplay guide, and wiki page on traitor. I'd then politely warn him about killing people without good reason, and watch him for the rest of the round.

If he was an old player, I'd ask him what is his goal. From there I'd tell him that it doesn't really seem like he is RPing that much, and that he needs to have some rhyme and reason to his kills. If he continued I would likely request that an admin antag-ban him.

If he has a history of doing such, I would likely ask over to admins to make a final determination on his flavor of punishment.

While you are observing, you notice that melancholy_Chad/(Ogden Bullthorn) and ProudYolande08/(Lou Penny) are both explorers, and have seemingly miraculously been able to find and rescue each other on the exoplanet with ease, in spite of their distances apart at various times and lack of communication with one another.

I would ask both of them if they are using out-of-server communications.

If they say no, I will ask them if they know each other (I will refer to them by their character's name just to see if they refer to the player). If they say yes, I will check if they are new or old players. If they are new, I will tell them that out-of-server communications are banned, and that they need to stop and communicate ICly. If they are old, I will tell them that they are obviously using out-of-server communications, to re-read the rules, and that repeating such shall result in consequences.

If they say yes to the first question, I will do the same except exclude the 'know each other' question.

If they say no to both using out-of-server communications and knowing each other, I shall continue to observe them to see if their actions are repeated. If they are, I will tell them that they are likely lying and that they need to stop using out-of-server communications and that if they continue, they will be banned by admins.

If they are repeat offenders, once again, I'll inform admins so they can make the final call.

Superiordorene/(Alex Burnette) is complaining about BIGMAMMOTH/(Jessica Olivers)'s character being "unprofessional" in adminhelps. Upon looking at the situation, you find that the actions of BIGMAMMOTH do not violate any server rules, though Superiordorene is clearly upset.

I will continue observe BIGMAMMOTH for some time, to see if their actions do end up bordering that of illegal. If they do, I shall tell them that they need to be a little more professional. I will also check if they are new, and if they are, I shall redirect them to the wiki page for their job, and to the roleplay guide. I will later inform Superior that BIGMAMMOTH has been warned regarding such. If they are old, I would tell them to be a little more professional, and that they should know better.

If they aren't really illegal at all, I will still check if they are new, and if they are, I'll guide them to the wiki page for their job, and tell them that they need to be a little more courteous with their co-workers. I would tell Superior that BIGMAMMOTH has been alerted and warned, and to ahelp again if it continues. If they are old, I'll them to slightly dial up their professionalism a bit.

A ticket is opened by colorful_berry67/(Simon Paulson) to complain about something that happened between themself, StraightGertude15/(Eli Mathers), and EnergeticPlastic/(Vlad Petrovic) on the bridge. While the issue appears legitimate. There are a number of discrepancies in the stories between colorful_berry67 and StraightGertude15, with the story provided by EnergeticPlastic not relating at all to those of the other two.

To start, I would look through the chat to see which story is the most accurate. From there, if one rules out to be the truth, I'll follow with that story.

If it is none of them, or if it is impossible to tell which one is the true one, I would clarify the situation and re-ask EnergeticPlastic, and question Berry and Gertude on the discrepancies. From there, the situation can go many ways.

If the discrepancies are resolved, I would proceed with that story and address the issue.

If the same amount of discrepancies are there or more pop up, I would ask if they can create a private group on discord to help clarify the situation. From there each side could present their story, and the truth could be eventually figured out shortly. Once again, I would proceed with the ruling story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Whew, that took longer than expected. If there are any outstanding errors, please point them out with extreme prejudice.

Cheb Pomidorov likes this.
  2. Mordeth221

Mordeth221 High Inquisitor Senior Administrator Game Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.