Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted Tennessee116 - Vox

Discussion in 'Archived Species Applications' started by Tennessee116, May 29, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tennessee116

Tennessee116 Sol Gov Pilot

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Tennessee116

What is your Discord username?
    N/A (you might catch me as t116 on IRC)

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Since late 2019.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    • Bruce Mason, Commanding Officer
    • Therman Wolff, general submap person

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Vox Primalis

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    I enjoy playing submap roles for the more personal interaction between characters, and I think that currently the Vox submaps are criminally underused compared to the others. I also think Vox hold an interesting and unique niche as one of the few artificial, organic races.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    • Kricthyitkara - The Silent Short Biotechnician of the Wandering Laborious Arkship
    • Rikchrik - The Great Quill of the Small Frigate of the Great Arkship of Servitude
    Summarize what you know about the species.
    The Vox are a group of bio-engineered species who breathe nitrogen. Their biology loosely resembles a reptile or corvid, with an earthy color scheme. They inhale, eat, and excrete through a single orifice, tucked inside their three-piece beak. Their scales are rigid and nonconducting, allowing for partial resistance to vacuum. Across their upper extremities, all Vox have a series of unique markings, encoded in which is their entire life story, including their genetic makeup and home.

Thousands of years ago, they belonged to an advanced, unknown alien species who created them, along with the Apex, massive biocomputers who now act as the Vox's almost mythological quasi-rulers. The Apex are the final authority and mediator in the current Vox civilization, and all praise them as the voice of their lost creators. The common Vox group has a Quill, a leader whose is usually designated by the Apex, albeit much of the Vox rank is established by competition. Both the Apex and Vox usually live onboard giant arkships.

Vox technology is extremely advanced, however almost entirely stagnant. A majority of available technology are millennia old and are considered highly valuable, passed among Vox as somewhat of an heirloom. A lot of technology in use is biotechnology, some of which actually share ancestry with the Vox. As such, Vox treat biotechnology less like tools and more like compatriots.

Vox do not act inherently cruel or evil to species. They just consider other species to not actually be as "sapient" as them due to their lack of a cortical stack, a cybernetic device that the Vox use as their "real" brain. While their bodies do have an organic brain, it handles more menial biological tasks. The cortical stacks can effectively make a Vox immortal, allowing for transfer between bodies, albeit going for durations without a body may greatly alter it. The other species' lack of a cortical stack results in Vox believing that they don't have a proper brain. Vox are also not strong-willed or unstoppable forces, and often do not prey on anything that is remotely a risk to themself or their fellow compatriots.

Character Concept - Kricthyitkara
    Kricthyitkara is a Shoal Biotechnician, as aforementioned in the example names section. They are nothing particularly special compared to their companions, being a little physically short. However, they have one mildly interesting trait. As described in their name, they are the Silent Short Biotechnician. That does not mean they do not talk, they just really prefer to use other forms of communication. They'll shriek, nod, flap their arms, and do whatever if they know that the person on the other side will get the message.

I feel like the About the Species section is a little short, but I tried not to regurgitate too much trivia. As for the character concept, I didn't include things like "values his compatriots" and that sort of stuff primarily because I feel like that's an expected trait.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Sennalen and Imienny like this.
  2. Tennessee116

106 hour bump.

3. Tennessee116

154 hour bump.

4. Eonoc

Eonoc Vox Species Maintainer Deputy Serpentid Maintainer

I've seen you play, and talked to you on Discord. You seem like a good player, and have no notes I find terribly relevant to future Vox play. Character concept looks solid, and background information knowledge looks solid. You're right, I would've judged the about species section a bit too abbreviated, but given you acknowledged the issue, and it WAS all in your words, more or less---
    Approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.