Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Importance of Recognizing Ranks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by St. Jemmy, Aug 21, 2019.

1. St. Jemmy

St. Jemmy Assistant

Hey all, I just wanted to make this post as a reminder, since it may be something overlooked by people who never served in the military.
    The other day there was an incident (that I won't get into, the matter was resolved) involving a bridge officer and SEA. Admittedly it can be quite confusing, which inspired me to make this post.

Since this is a heavy roleplay server involving military RP, it's incredibly important to make sure you understand your own rank and the ranks of those you're speaking to.

All officer ranks (O-1 to O-10) are above all enlisted ranks (E-1 to E-9).

While realistically O-1s are inexperienced and would be wise to listen to the experienced enlisted (such as an E-9), that does not mean that an E-9 outranks any officer, even if they are more experienced. As such, E-9s are still obligated to follow the orders of O-1s and treat them with respect, and are subject to the SCUJ and can be NJP'd for violating it! I've seen it happen!

When dealing with Fleet matters always check the rank of the person you're talking to!

Hope this was helpful and in the correct section of the forum!

samsone700 and Tristan63 like this.
  2. Persona E

Persona E Game Administrator

Great tip OP, I'd also link https://wiki.baystation12.net/Defence_Forces/Fleet and https://wiki.baystation12.net/How_To_Sol_Gov_Guide for those who find this reminder useful.

I think it's helpful to point out, even for people who do know the basic rank system, that you should always recognize which rank your character's interacting with and consider how that would change their behavior. You'd do the same with a non-military character, acting differently around their boss than they do around friends.

I hope you're not still upset that my SEA told you you shouldn't wear a plate carrier over your service uniform and that all the officers on bridge told you not to argue with the SEA, since that was 24 hours ago. I think it's easy to see that, disagree with it, and assume people think the E-9 outranks the officer. (Though the officer in that case wasn't wearing their ranks at all, so who could have known.)

That's what makes senior NCOs so fun to play, in my opinion, there is a different relationship you have with junior officers and senior officers, and both are fun to play out. For instance, I tend to be careful to word things as advice or judgements rather than orders if I'm playing Ally and telling an officer they should do something, with the voice used changing based on rank.

3. Tristan63

Tristan63 Senior Enlisted Advisor

A reminder that E9s can advise junior officers on alternative actions rather than carrying out orders blindly. But a good tip for everyone!

:king:

4. St. Jemmy

St. Jemmy Assistant

@Persona E, as I said in the OP, the matter was resolved and I have no intention of arguing it again even if I disagree with the resolution. Though I will say that during the incident there was some confusion and it seemed that some characters believed I was speaking to a superior officer and punished me accordingly.

I didn't realize until I was about to log on earlier today that SEA was in fact enlisted instead of an officer, which prompted me to make the post since it seems an easy mistake to make considering the nature of SEA's role on the ship. I honestly just made this post because military RP is such an integral part of the server currently and it's something that shouldn't be overlooked.

@Tristan63 Definitely! Ensigns should absolutely take the advice of the higher ranking enlisted! They have a lot of experience to learn from! But for technical and judicial purposes, they are still outranked by Ensigns and there's only so much leeway that experience can get you. Though I would call it unwise for an Ensign immediately start pulling rank on an E-9 lol

Tristan63 likes this.
  5. Wmeacham

Wmeacham Assistant

And Junior officers to Senior officers as well respectvely.

6. Roland410

Roland410 Petty Officer First Class

The only thing I'd put here is, that while Fleet is more mil-RP, EC people also have their ranks and even if more lax, you probably shouldn't mouth back or disobey someone above you, for example XPLs to SXPL or CXPL. They can easily pull rank, and you WILL be subject to SCUJ just as Fleet would be.

OndraLukas likes this.
  7. spessCarp

spessCarp Chef

I’d totally wear rank hud glasses so I don’t have to examine everyone constantly.

samsone700, Wmeacham and YodaDoge like this.