Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Newbie Archives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cheb Pomidorov, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Cheb Pomidorov

Cheb Pomidorov Bartender

Baystation12 is a server remarkably different from all others, thanks to its focus on roleplay. With the absence of clowns, the prohibition of ERP, and the rules regarding characters dictating them to possess an IQ in the natural numbers, those who are new to the server tend to really say some bizarre shit, incomprehensible for us simple mortals. From making in-character references to other space stations of SS13 (despite them having no place in BayLore), to wondering when the escape shuttle will launch, to the ol' classic, calling the SEV Torch a station rather than a ship. I'd like this thread to be a compendium of such sayings, so if any such blunders caught your interest, be sure to contribute.

I'm not trying to be mean to newbies, but to help them: for a newcomer, reading this thread would be akin to reading a not-to-do list and would prevent common mistakes from happening again. Plus, we all got to laugh.

My favourite one is when you're performing an autopsy, when an annoyed LOOC voice starts telling you to hurry up. Hurry up and do what, exactly? You're dead, you've got all the time in the world (or none of it?). Well, apparently the SEV Torch is equipped with a cloning facility, capable of curing brain death, and the LOOC voice would appreciate it if you brought their character back to life. I thus project my own voice into the LOOC channel: "Shh, you're dead, buddy, you're dead!"
    Another favourite is the aforementioned escape shuttle. It's amazing when everyone else starts trying to fit it into the narrative. "Escape from what?", everyone else ponders, baffled. Did you know that someone calling for the escape pods to be launched, if playing a Bridge Officer or an Engineer, is liable to create a situation where escape pods DO need to be launched? Now you know.

Please share your own experiences.

2. Sarcasmotron500

Sarcasmotron500 Bartender

It's not English, it's Zurich Accord Common (ZAC).

3. Zenith

Zenith Bartender

on other servers, replacing someone's limb with a robotic one is a simple affair. my first time playing on bay, I attempted to do so as a roboticist. I get very confused as to why I'm failing surgery steps, and promptly get bwoinked with the question "why are you attempting surgery with no anatomy skill"

and that's how I learned that setting your skills is actually important

4. flying_loulou

flying_loulou Sol Gov Pilot

For gooood's sake no it's not "NORTH" it's "Starbard"

Soooo since I'm a kind dude :
    Fore : the front of the ship (on the Torch, the left side of the screen).
    Aft : the rear of the ship (on the Torch, the right side of the screen).
    Starboard : the right side of the ship (on the Torch, the top of the screen).
    Port : the left side of the ship (on the Torch, the bottom of the screen).

purplemontart likes this.