Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those shady food dispensers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexpkeaton, Jul 30, 2019.

1. I just have a quick question about those shady "food" vending machines that you often see people drag from maintenance. Things like the empty "Hot Foods" dispenser with horse burgers (doesn't that cause you to get a horsehead on other servers?) That appears to just be a meme since it is empty, but what about the BODA - isn't that just soda water or something? Is there any adverse effects from using it? I think with that the joke is that in Mother Russia, water is vodka and soda water is luxury drink.

There is at least one other food vending machine that I cannot think of. One that does have food in it and I remember hearing something about it being poisonous. If so, any idea how poisonous or which items are particularly bad?

2. Sergeant Adam

Sergeant Adam Game Administrator Game Administrator

The BODA machine has a bunch of memey soviet/russian themed drinks in it like arstotzkan cola and whatever.
    The other one you're probably thinking of is the Snix machine, which again, has a bunch of russian themed snack foods like vobla, "Terran Caviar" and semki.
    The only maintenance vending machine that has poisoned food in it is the hot foods vendor, and I don't think any of the food actually has lethal stuff in it.

3. Thanks for the info!

4. Tristan63

Tristan63 Senior Enlisted Advisor

wouldn't it be neat if you could rock a vending machine and a random thing could fall out. this is of course assuming you can't afford the cheap food

5. Phosphorus

Phosphorus Game Administrator

@Sergeant Adam
    IIRC, when they were originally coded all of the food had a chance to have a random toxin, same as the 'random toxin beaker' antag item. It's a seriously slept on resource if you want to be a bad man and grind up some of the food for toxins.

6. Bloody Man

Bloody Man Bartender

As the creator and dubious coder of the snix and hot foods vendor, only the Hot Foods vending machine has food that's gone bad in it. - Hot Foods hasn't been in business for over five decades. So the items inside has a greenish hue and descriptions that reflect their age. It's mostly a darwin award dispenser. The snix machine items are perfectly edible, basicly just being seeds, fats and salt.

The BODA machine has been there since Goon, I think. I only added the Arztotska Bru.