Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn on your antag preferences.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SparklySheep, Apr 3, 2019.

1. SparklySheep

SparklySheep Retired Staff

Every time I join, I have an almost 100% chance of getting antag.

This means ya'll motherfuckers don't have that turned on to max.

Do it or I'll keep ganking you with parapens.

Rowtree and Higgin like this.
  2. Rodmuth

Rodmuth Chef

I like to antag, but it's almost like work. Tons of things to think about, mechanical stuff, making the round fun for people and avoiding the o so feared bwoink.

Also, security needs some kind of nerf, preferably in their ability to figure things out IC, and their ability to stun you by aiming for the leg. It can get a bit annoying sometimes.

Many characters are also lacking in fear, leading to diminished RP opportunities.

Those are some thoughts on why I, a guy that used to antag all the time, only do in infrequently now.

3. Virgil

Virgil Director of Administration

This is a baffling and frankly rediculous expectation that's long since died and will remain dead as long as I can keep stabbing it with a knife.

All we ask is that antagonists be antagonistic in some fashion and that they at the least come up with a reason for why they're doing whatever it is to justify their actions. It's when antagonists go on wordless murderbone rampages or just have a really low effort motivation such as "because my character is crazy" or "I am roleplaying a serial killer" or "I am an antagonist" (yes, those last two are actual reasons given that we have to deal with regularly) or other really bad reasons for doing things that staff should be warning people.

From then on, as long as you can justify whatever it is your antagonist does that advances your goals, you should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Persona E likes this.
  4. Rodmuth

Rodmuth Chef

Clearly not, though, since I have such worries and I know I am not alone in that from talking to people in ghost and ooc -chat.

Also, I think you could have been a bit more diplomatic writing this.
    Still, I appreciate the attempt to clear this up.

5. Virgil

Virgil Director of Administration

I'm aware, it's a fear I can understand. When it comes down to it though, antagonists have a very difficult job and staff should be as lenient as possible within reason so they can actually do it.

Was it the stabbing analogy? It's an expectation that does need to die and remain dead, it's not healthy and is pretty silly - we can't expect antagonists to provide fun for everyone, it's literally impossible. The best we can reasonably ask is they antagonize and try to come up with a half-decent reason for doing so.

Plus I like fun analogies :(.

Getbrecked, Persona E and Higgin like this.
  6. Spookerton

Spookerton Public Kohai № 1 Head Administrator Manager Senior Administrator Community Moderator IPC Species Maintainer Donator

Hi I'm (exaggerated) 50% of all admin coverage. Antag boinks are like 1 in 40 and my most common interaction is
    ` Hey why did you X `
    ` Because Y `
    ` Fair enough `

Fuck off with that fake admins harass antags shit. I literally protect you.

Ed: not joking. I get paragraphs of complaint material to every word I write to an antag, to the point where it regularly fucks up my rounds to handle stuff - just ask anyone I've gone blank with for up to 30 minutes at a time. It's very rarely because I'm talking to the traitor.

7. Rodmuth

Rodmuth Chef

No it was the ridiculous thing. But thanks for your second post.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not exactly new but I still have had this perception, so it' s possible that it's something that needs to be addressed somehow. Still, was it really necessary to tell me to fuck off?

In conclusion, feeling better about antagging and worse about posting on forums.

8. Loaf

Loaf THE SIGNAL THE SIGNAL THE SIGNAL Developer Ascent Species Maintainer Deputy Vox Maintainer

You innocently put your foot in a hot button issue for the server, don't take it too personally.

9. samsone700

samsone700 Petty Officer First Class

Yeah its not as attractive as it once was but that is a good thing. Getting valid-hunted by an antag is very depressing so they gotta have a good reason for doing what they do. People aren't really that creative and just want the power/permission to fuck others over and antags get punished if they do so without good cause.
    Problem is that, sec has that same power.

They can validhunt and fuck people over by metagaming and I don't feel they get nearly as strict treatment as antags. I assure you that those who got banned or are discouraged from playing antags are 100% playing security. Cause its the next-best thing for power tripping and dosen't hold nearly the same amount of responsibility. This opinion is coming from a player of several years and primary antag.

10. Neon1ight

Neon1ight Petty Officer First Class

The cool thing about antag preferences is that they’re preferences. I prefer not to play antags because I feel it disrupts the development and role playing qualities of the character in a way that contributes nothing to long-term development and potentially derails the character and how they act themselves. If you’re tired of being an antag all the time, stop being an antag. And maybe don’t open up threads without any content in the OP at all

11. Rodmuth

Rodmuth Chef

You know what, that's probably exactly what happened, I don't have the OOC channel on very often because I am in between decent computer monitors right now and my current one is tiny, and not even widescreen

12. spessCarp

spessCarp Chef

Ha agreed! Security was always like: the crime took place on the Torch, you were on the Torch. There’s nothing in your bag, no witnesses, no evidence, clearly you are guilty then!

13. Sweedle

Sweedle Game Moderator

Hi, @spessCarp please stop "necroing" threads -- that means replying to threads (like this) that have gone for several months without reply. You've done this many times over, and been asked to stop at least once.

14. spessCarp

spessCarp Chef

Honestly, what does bringing up old conversations hurt? If it was interesting then, why not now? Also necromancer is my favorite RPG class.

At any rate I had a threshold of the topic being within the current year. Because that’s easy to remember and everything within the current year feels recent enough to me. What’s the exact amount of time till a conversation is considered expired?

15. Sergeant Adam

Sergeant Adam HI GOT A MINUTE? Game Administrator

@spessCarp The amount of time is several months, as Sweedle told you. In any case, this isn't the appropriate place to have this conversation. If you have any further questions feel free to ask them in staffcoach.