Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verarch - Skrell

Discussion in 'Alien Species' started by Verarch, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Verarch

Verarch Chef

About You

What is your Byond key?
    Verarch

What is your Discord username?
    Verarch#9616

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?
    Just about ~5 years.

What are the names of your better-known characters?
    Kade Valentine, Sezal Khuzul Hartes, Wesley Zaun, IRIS

About The Species

What alien species are you applying for?
    Skrell

Why do you want to play as the alien species?
    Diverse play is fun -- playing an alien, not of these customs is pretty neat to me. I can usually be found playing Unathi, so I figure I can try out playing Skrell. I recall having a whitelist some time ago before it got reworked or something as well.

What are some example names for the alien species?
    A variety are available, from their long names such as Vuziowoiiziinchiovix Xirxu'izir --> shortened names such as Vuzio Xixu'izir. Some take names like John Doe or such simple, nonsense names for ease in common space. A human can't, without invasive surgery, pronounce a Skrell's name without butchering it.

Summarize what you know about the species.
    Skrell have a caste system kind of similar to Indian culture --- from the high caste composed of leaders and 'high society' people (lawyers, politicians, what-have-you) to warriors. Each caste has an array of skin colors from all ranges of the rainbow: the Qerr-Katish, the high caste, are all typically bright green. This caste system is millennia-strong and is important to the culture-oriented skrell. Skrell castes are engineered towards specific trades -- Malish-Katish being scientists, Kanin-Katish being builders, and so on. The culture is focused mainly upon arts and entertainment, having an artist caste, the Talum-Katish, dedicated to it. All Skrell participate in some sort of sport, influenced by their caste. They could dance if they're an artist, or play riddles/puzzles if they're a scientist. Sports can vary in physical activity, but all are engaging to some degree.
    Biologically, they have few similarities to baseline humans. Males are generally shorter than females, for instance, with average heights for both ranging from 5'10" to 6'2". Their anatomy is slightly more robust, and their reproduction consists of tadpoles and eggs similar to other aquatic creatures. Notably, animal protein is poisonous to Skrell who are not evolved to digest it.

Moving on, politics on Qerr'Balak are somewhat similar to Earth monarchies. The king, Qerr-Skria, rules over a city --- or even multiple cities, becoming then an 'Emperor,' Qrri-Qerria. The king holds executive/judiciary powers and is advised by the Qerr-Koal, similar to a cabinet full of old Skrell. The Qerr-Koal is typically composed of at least one experienced member of each caste. While the king holds executive/judiciary power, the Xaq Moglar, a congregation, wields legislative power.

Money is temporary in Skrell culture, composed of shiny mushrooms that are rendered invalid after 2 years. This promotes economic activity in the "use it or lose it" mindset. Thalers are mostly useless except in currency exchange with interstellar trade.
    Family is polyamorous in Skrell culture, with many sexual partners being preferred for reproduction. As such, marriage is not a concept Skrell are familiar with, yet they retain a family unit with a 'bonding'. One of the parents are designated the caretaker of the children between the two, the Qarr-Maqa, and other becomes the Qrri-Maqa, the supporter of the family. Cousins are generally held distant.

Skrell have a public education system and it is held in high regard. They study math, science, history and logic until they hit age 8 and split off into learning their respective trades as determined by the caste system. At age 18, Skrell are permitted to leave education and become a low-level laborer, a Qrri-Mog; or they can continue to learn and leave at age 25, a Qerr-Mog. Similar to Unathi, they can continue to learn and become Qerr-Koal, the master of their trade.
    Religion is generally metaphysical rather than mythological, being a very science-oriented society. Most hold pantheist thoughts in regards to religion.
    Despite this 'perfect' society that the Skrell may hold, crime still exists. It's very possible to have a criminal Skrellian, so not all Skrell are relegated to being Lawful Good. A large family holds most criminal control, the Qerr-Glia.
    Outside of domestic affairs, the Dionaea are regarded as one of the closest allies to the Skrell, being non-aggressive and very interesting as a species. The Skrell are tolerant of most of all cultures, but are very interested in influencing them in some manner and not vice versa, being a sort of manipulator. Humans are generally regarded as allies, but they are dangerous to Skrell culture, and are kept a curt but cordial relationship.

Take #2, fin.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. Verarch

Verarch Chef

3. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Okay. Problem here is you've not followed the special requirements I ask for in the app process topic. I don't want you to regurgitate the wiki. I want to see if you can get into the right mindset to portray a warble.

1.How do you feel a skrell from one given caste of your choice sees their place in life? In society? Compared to other skrell? Answer this from the perspective of an individual, not a glorified stereotype of their castes ideals.

2. What do you feel is the biggest threat to the Skrell based on the things you've read.

3. How do you feel Skrell on the border worlds with humanity are beginning to differ from more traditional Skrell elsewhere?

4. How do you feel an individual Skrell of any background of your choosing would regard humanity initially? How do you think they view humans?