Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you (if you do) personally use social media?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RandyJones, May 16, 2019.

1. RandyJones

RandyJones Chef

In college me and a friend of mine went to a comfy restaurant because of their stellar food before he ate he would spend 5-7 minutes taking pictures to post online.

This annoyed me endlessly and I didint see the value in behind showing mostly acquaintances (depending on your following) propped up pictures of what you're eating or shots of your face.

I saw an article on this exact topic that was outlining the idea that social media (ie twitter,facebook,instagram etc) work subconsciously so that people compare themselves to others the irony however that as with my friend in the restaurant the picture is not faithful as to reality since people ad filters and effects as well as exagorate context to the pictures they take to enhance the perception. The "beneficial" side of social media is dwarfed by everything else.

So whats the appeal for you personally?

Earthcrusher likes this.
  2. Earthcrusher

Earthcrusher SMASHER/DEVOURER Laser Tag 2019 Participant

I find it pretty easy to stay detached from obsessive social media. I maintain a Twitter account for my (slow as molasses) online presence in the adult art community and that's about it. No more than a few minutes a day.

3. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Retired Staff

I enjoy the news, which is most of my reason for connection to social media. As well I follow a great deal of artists, fashion/photography/visual art etc accounts and joke shit. I only really use Twitter at this point and occasionally Instagram moreso for photo gallery purposes of photos I would want people to see like things I’d frame at home etc. I find the connection that comes from social media in some friend circles to be a quality thing in our cyclically nostalgic/romantic spaces.

Also I think it’s important to try and at least look out from your own reality bubble, even if to just see how dumb others are.

Earthcrusher likes this.