Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WickedCybs - Pan-Slavic

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by WickedCybs, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WickedCybs

WickedCybs Game Moderator

About You

What is your Byond key?

WickedCybs

How long have you been playing on Baystation 12?

About 5 months

What are the names of your better-known characters?

Zixqul Auxal, Aixquil Verana, Sera Rail, Lucile Dalton

About The Language

What language are you applying for?

Pan-Slavic

Why do you want to be able to speak this language?

I’d like to be able to speak it on a Skrell character of mine. Zixqul Auxal, engineer.

As for why they’d have it. In their background they learned ZAC from an earth native coming from what would be Eastern Europe, This mainly influenced their accent, though they picked up a bit of Pan-Slavic as well. They’ve worked at various human installations before the Torch, since the corporation they work for loans employees and sometimes takes on contacts from either side of the Human-Skrell border, So they’ve experienced more than just ZAC in the course of their jobs due to the diversity of people they’ve been with.

The Torch itself has many Pan-Slavic speakers, and the engineering department is notable with how many use it. I’d like to think Auxal would eventually commit to learning more in an effort to better connect with their colleagues. In game I also think it would be quite interesting. It makes a lot of sense for some Skrell to know more than just ZAC/Sign/Spacer, and the role-play opportunities provided from it would be fun, I think.

How does the language sound? What difficulties would the character you want to speak it have in trying to speak it?

I’d imagine its some odd mix of the slavic language branches, combining them into a unified language for all speakers. People think “Russian in space”, and while I think it’d borrow a lot from that, the other influences would be quite notable. Like Polish and Ukranian for example.

As for the difficulties with how my character would speak it. I like to think that in absence of a proper instructor this time, they’d use the equivalent of a cheap space Duolingo to achieve a basic fluency. As a consequence, they won’t really be good at it, but more just passable. In game it’d be represented by being less wordy, perhaps not quite understanding everything a fully fluent Pan-Slavic speaker would say, and they’d have a different manner of speaking. In Pan-Slavic, Auxal’s accent would be rather generic, with odd inflection due to learning from a platform with synthesized speech and recordings.

Summarize what you know about the language.

Pan-Slavic has Slavic origins of course, being developed among those from Eastern Europe. It’s one of the Earth commons and thus is a mother tongue for many SCG citizens, though ZAC is still the most prominent of course. ZAC’s prominence was the very reason Pan-Slavic was first created. An effort to preserve culture in the face of homogenization.

Outside of Sol Gov, the ICCG also use Pan-Slavic as their official language.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. Eckles

Eckles Senior Administrator Game Administrator Skrell Species Maintainer

Approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.