Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denied Zuhayr - Developer.

Discussion in 'Developers - Archive' started by Loaf, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loaf

Loaf Retired Staff

BYOND Key: Zuhayr.
    Github profile URL: here.
    Featured PRs:
    Throw a dart at the merged PR page on the dev branch.
    Why do you want to become a developer?:

The Bay repo is a fucking mess, there are fifteen billion open issues and nobody seems to be willing or able to properly review a lot of the PRs in a timely manner, let alone curate the issue tracker now science finally automated PsiOmegaDelta. Every so often PRs and issues come up on my Github notification feed and it's an untidy eyesore that should be sorted out.

I have zero interest in Bay staff politics or playing on the server, but neither of those things are needed to assist with maintaining the codebase.

2. Sbotkin

Sbotkin Senior Enlisted Advisor

Why did you stop contributing to the repo at some point?

And, in fact, your reason to become a developer is exactly what we need now, with a stale state of the repo.

P.S. Zuhmed

ZeroBits likes this.
  3. Loaf

Loaf Retired Staff

I stopped because I was community banned. Post-that point my efforts were better spent on Europa.

ZeroBits likes this.
  4. Loaf

Loaf Retired Staff

I somehow managed to edit my post, go back, edit it again, commit it, and it kept both edits. :thinking:

ZeroBits likes this.
  5. FearTheBlackout

FearTheBlackout Retired Staff

guess who's back
    back again
    Zuhayr's back
    tell a friend

I support pretty much anything Zuhayr works on and we definitely need more people looking at PRs. :+1:

6. Meyar

Meyar Retired Worstmin 2015-2017

Considering how much time was spent detoxifying staff, bringing back on the most toxic coder we've ever had isn't exactly wise, and would be a step backwards on the progress made on that front.

Look at his community ban appeal. That it was lifted at all with the attitude displayed in it was baffling, but that same attitude is on display here and has shown no abatement over time.

7. Loaf

Loaf Retired Staff

I have never had a complaint lodged against me for my conduct as dev. If you and other people are going to continue to trot out how toxic I am, I'm going to want some kind of concrete accusation and evidence for such. The fact that we have never gotten along means nothing about my ability to fill the role.

8. Meyar

9. SparklySheep

SparklySheep Retired Staff

I mean, the point of contention with that was his conduct on the Discord. He's been existing on the coder channel for like half a year without issue so him having a dev tag wouldn't really change much. Also, bringing up a ban that was so poorly handled by the staff at the time and which a heck of a lot of fuss was kicked over isn't great evidence. Anyone would be pissy and sassy in that particular instance.

(Also the Bay repo is a fucking mess at this point. That's not even an exaggeration.)

10. Meyar

Staff conduct matters, or at least that's what was being pushed before I retired. I'd rather leave it at that.

11. Loaf

Loaf Retired Staff

Show me the community ban I got for staff conduct and I'll concede to it being relevant.

12. SalTum

SalTum Senior Enlisted Advisor

I mean, he fills all three categories, knowledge, activity, behavior, when it comes to the git. Not to mention having more active developers would be pretty sweet. I don't see why I shouldn't +1 this.

13. I don't know Zuhayr or his past, so this comes completely from an outsiders perspective but..

Being a Developer, in my eyes, is a pretty big responsibility. Not just because of the work that goes into it, but also because the Devs inevitably are the ones that push through PRs and ultimately choose what does and doesn't change on the server.

Because of that, even if it's not officially a staff position, I think devs should be held to the same standards a regular staff member or moderator would be held to. If someone is the type of person that everyone immediately has a panic attack over the thought of being made a mod, they shouldn't be a dev either.

Then again I'm just a random, what do I know. *shrug*

14. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Serpentid Species Maintainer

Dev is absolutely a staff position.

15. Loaf

Loaf Retired Staff

I think on reflection that this application was a mistake, and if I try to reintegrate into modern Bay it'll be pain for everyone involved. I'm going to hang around in the coder channel and if my assistance is needed I'll be available. Will probably do some fix PRs and whatnot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. F-Tang Steve

F-Tang Steve Serpentid Species Maintainer

Closing this at the request of the thread creator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.